Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by firegal » Tue May 21, 2019 5:38 pm

lingua_franca wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:10 pm
firegal wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:28 pm
lingua_franca wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:31 pm
Oh, there is no danger of dogs or chickens. They would eat into the money I'm saving for the horse. :wink:
I'm sure if we split the costs we could manage a horse share. Also, swashbuckle is an excellent name for a kitten!
It suits him down to the ground. He looks like a little silvery tiger. I hope my current cat takes kindly to him.

I'm moving to the North East in August/September, and I'm seriously thinking about looking for a horse share when I'm there. You don't happen to be in Newcastle/Durham, do you? :P Of the two friends I have up there, one has severe ME and can't walk or sit up unaided, and the other is very allergic to horses. I need to find friends who want to go on lots of nice hacks.

P.S. Congrats Miriam. :) I read about BERRI on your blog once and it sounds like a really useful tool. Something like that would have made a big difference in the adolescent unit where I used to work.
Sadly I'm midlands based so Newcastle might be a little far, even for a horse share with a psychology buddy!
I am hoping to get back into riding myself over the summer, my dad got me a voucher for a local stables as a birthday present, so I'm going to book myself a few private lessons :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Wed May 22, 2019 2:34 pm

1. Job interviews are much harder than I remember them being
2. There aren't that many CP jobs that I see advertised that seem appealing or exciting to me, did I really make a mistake starting on this course 3 years ago?
3. I have a splitting headache that I'm sure is equal parts stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, lack of food, and heat (why is it so hot today?!)
4. Everything feels really overwhelming and difficult right now, for some reason despite only being a few weeks into placement I already feel like I've started on the wrong foot and I keep getting in my head about how I might fail my final placement
5. The interview panel seemed really nice, I really want it, trying not to feel too hopeful though.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat May 25, 2019 1:21 pm

1.) I have just distinguished myself by winning an egg-and-spoon race on horseback. This needs to go down on my CV as an example of multitasking and coproduction of knowledge. (The horse was an absolute champ who had some very good ideas for keeping the egg on board - he seemed to sense that we were up to something precarious and he lengthened his stride without even being asked.)
2.) I am now in the university library smelling strongly of horses. I have an essay to write for my Tavi course, but I am being distracted by my own scent.
3.) Swashbuckle the kitten is settling in well. My existing cat has stopped hissing when he comes near and has begun washing his face. And also scoffing his food when my back's turned.
4.) I've been accompanying some of my students at the special school to horse riding lessons. Who knows, being a therapeutic/special needs riding instructor myself might well become my Plan B if the whole academia thing doesn't work out. It's certainly one way to use psychological knowledge.
5.) I'm hungry, but I don't know what I want to eat.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

HansKolpinghuis

Post by HansKolpinghuis » Sun May 26, 2019 12:34 pm

1. Today is the last day to apply to that PWP course. As much as I know I'm ready and I've been working and studying for 10 years to get in, I am not positive at all I will get in. I am very, very nervous as I know this is an opportunity I've been waiting for a long time, and I'm exhausted of being stuck in my career.
2. Was moving to the UK a good idea? I don't seem to be advancing career-wise and maybe it's time to keep moving and let this idea go.
3. I need to go back to eating healthy and hitting the gym, I can see my body and mind react to bad habits already!
4. This new support working position I've just taken is waaaaay far from my comfort zone!
5. I should book a haircut and a beard trim

LozLoz

Post by LozLoz » Mon May 27, 2019 6:47 pm

1. I had my interview for the Doctorate course on Friday and my friends and partner were not interested.. It hurts that they're not supportive and uninterested.

2. I'm hoping to find out tomorrow and if I do, it's going to hurt that my work colleagues will be more supportive (if I'm successful or unsuccessful) than anyone else.

3.Waiting for times to get better because quite frankly this year has been one of the worst I've had to endure.

4.I need to get new friends, but wouldn't know how to start! Thanks a lot anxiety for making me socially awkward.

5. Roll on bedtime, my brain is fried from overthinking about unsupportive people and the impending result!

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm

1. House hunting a lot more stressful than I anticipated!

2. EMDR training part 1 was really interesting and useful. Now to be unleashed on clients next week :D

3. Fasting is really testing me. I have lost nearly a stone in weight that took me ages to put on. I am really tired and on the last of the fumes for the remainder of the days.

4. Going home on Friday - yay!

5. Bring on my first full week off work this year :D
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:56 pm

1.) I feel so worried about my cat. :( Since the kitten arrived she's seemed depressed. She gets on with him well enough (no signs of aggression other than the odd hiss when he tries to treat her tail as a chew toy) but she no longer comes trotting up to me as soon as she sees me, she doesn't purr at all, and she no longer sits with me or headbutts me or rubs her face on things. Worst of all, she actively avoids me. She's sharing a basket with the kitten and even grooming him, so I don't understand why she doesn't seem to like me any more. :( It breaks my heart that she's unhappy.
2.) It's going to be a tight month financially. I need to find some extra work.
3.) I need to finish these essays. I can do this. I can.
4.) I had no idea that my favourite pho dish contained so many calories. It's making me feel annoyingly bad about myself.
5.) Eid Mubarak to you, nomnom, and to whoever else is celebrating here.
- A.A. Milne.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 pm

lingua_franca wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:56 pm
1.) I feel so worried about my cat. :( Since the kitten arrived she's seemed depressed. She gets on with him well enough (no signs of aggression other than the odd hiss when he tries to treat her tail as a chew toy) but she no longer comes trotting up to me as soon as she sees me, she doesn't purr at all, and she no longer sits with me or headbutts me or rubs her face on things. Worst of all, she actively avoids me. She's sharing a basket with the kitten and even grooming him, so I don't understand why she doesn't seem to like me any more. :( It breaks my heart that she's unhappy.
What makes you think she's unhappy? She's probably delighted, but fixated on protecting the kitten and not you right now.

1. So many deadlines impending. Can I find time to write two grant applications and a draft of my new book amongst everything else, or does something have to give?
2. Went away in the camper van to a festival with the kids last weekend. It was really nice. Until it ended up with the RAC making a very poor show of recovering us when the oil pressure dropped.
3. Birthday party impending this weekend. I need to purchase ingredients and make a picnic and cake. If I run out of time I suppose I might be lazy and just buy them.
4. Optimistic feedback about a few potential contracts, but it is stressful waiting for decisions.
5. Excited about recruiting a new member of staff. We've never had a sales or customer support role before!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

ChrisCross

Post by ChrisCross » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 pm

1. Feeling upset and angry about a discussion happening on my facebook page about LGBT rights. According to one of my facebook 'friends,' human rights are the cause of "so much trouble in this country." Apparently it's ok for a lesbian couple to get beaten up on a public bus because "nobody wants to see that gay stuff" and the real problem is that we keep banging on about gay pride when the bigger issue is that we can't smoke in pubs anymore. WHAT?! :evil: :evil: :evil:

2. Breathe.

3. This is more about him than it is about you.

4. What a sad, sad world we live in.

5. Solidarity and love to anyone out there experiencing prejudice or discrimination simply for being who they are.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:07 am

ChrisCross wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 pm
1. Feeling upset and angry about a discussion happening on my facebook page about LGBT rights. According to one of my facebook 'friends,' human rights are the cause of "so much trouble in this country." Apparently it's ok for a lesbian couple to get beaten up on a public bus because "nobody wants to see that gay stuff" and the real problem is that we keep banging on about gay pride when the bigger issue is that we can't smoke in pubs anymore. WHAT?! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Extreme irony that the couple in question were assaulted for refusing to do "that gay stuff" for a male heterosexual audience.

Block that person - you won't change their mind and they are not a friend you need.

PinkFreud19

Post by PinkFreud19 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:42 pm

ChrisCross wrote:
Jesus. His attitudes are exactly why gay pride is justified and why the idea of 'systemic inequalities' holds merit. Ironically, he complains about people "banging on about gay pride" and yet if, and many like him, were more tolerant of others*, they would not need to anymore!

*N.B: I dislike the term "tolerance" in these contexts, because it implies that we are encouraging people merely to 'put up' with their negative feelings towards LGBT people, not to teach them that such negative feelings are completely irrational to start with. In actuality, tolerance should not be the goal, it should be acceptance. I would be horrified if the only reason I wasn't explicitly homophobic was because I was 'tolerating' them.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:36 pm

ChrisCross wrote:

2. Breathe.

3. This is more about him than it is about you.

4. What a sad, sad world we live in.

5. Solidarity and love to anyone out there experiencing prejudice or discrimination simply for being who they are.
Ironically, this particular incident was precisely because men "wanted to see that gay stuff" and couldn't accept that lesbian relationships are not performative for men. But yeah, I just drop people from facebook with views like that. I can't call them "friends". Some of the responses to straight pride have been the antidote to this, so you might want to check them out.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:13 am

1. This placement keeps putting me in mind of my nightmare AP job, and it isn't pleasant

2. Number 1 feels a little unfair because I don't think my supervisor is actually doing anything wrong, but I am experiencing ridiculous levels of anxiety and currently supervision only seems to make that worse, and I'm not sure how much more I can do to address it at this point.

3. Yay for personal therapy

4. Yay for sunshine

5. Yay for the light at the end of the tunnel

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Hang in there firegal!

1. Had an amazing birthday yesterday, better than I expected

2. Really struggling to prioritise tasks both within and outside HI training... I know what needs to be done but for some reason I am struggling to apply all my usual techniques. Also my living environment is so much messier than usual which is perpetuating it. I wish I could simultaneously clean and study. Definitely getting the urge to procasti-clean.

3. Not happy with my progress but pushing forward

4. Yay sunshine, although starting to cloud over again, the miserable weather so far this month has been most disappointing

5. Need to find a way to start exercising again that doesn't make me feel like death with exhaustion.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:27 am

miriam wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 pm
lingua_franca wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:56 pm
What makes you think she's unhappy? She's probably delighted, but fixated on protecting the kitten and not you right now.
While she accepts him (no hissing/biting/puffy tail), she's not enthusiastic around him, and she doesn't interact with him unless he initiates it. She will often get up on the bureau where he can't reach her. She has also pooed outside her box a few times, which is a sign of stress. At the moment he sleeps in the spare room, as he'd be ricocheting round the house like a furry cannonball if I let him have the run of the place in the small hours, and she is much more relaxed and like her old cuddly self when he's in there. The vet has recommended I try Feliway and has said that things should improve once he's neutered and has quietened down a bit, so hopefully it will be OK.

1.) The peer reviews are in and they're very supportive. I just have a few minor changes to make, and my new book will be out in time for the REF. It all feels a bit unreal. This has been years of work.
2.) I embarked on a new relationship a couple of weeks ago. It is very nice to have someone who appears at my door with vegan baked goods when he knows I have a marking pile to summit.
3.) I need to book my flights to Toronto this summer. A good friend is getting married there. I'm very excited about seeing her.
4.) I've burnt my hand on the oven and two of my knuckles are sore to bend. Ow.
5.) How did I end up this nocturnal?
- A.A. Milne.