Should I stick this out with the hopes of gaining entry into training in mid 30s or drop off now ?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
ryan95

Should I stick this out with the hopes of gaining entry into training in mid 30s or drop off now ?

Post by ryan95 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:25 am

Just feel like i haven’t even got on the wheel yet, I’m already 30 and thinking about doing a psychology conversion course but even if I do this and get a AP post it could be several years of earning no money or support worker pay before I get anywhere. I have already been working in support work for the last decade and am in all honesty tired of it.

My life is suffering due to lack of skills from my undergrad which was in art and design. My relationships are falling apart as no one wants to know someone who just earns very little and who puts everything into one thing.

I just feel like even if I get onto training in my mid thirties I am still going to be really old wen qualifying and then is it even worth it as I will be most likely seen too old to apply for roles.

My other idea was to get a Msc in either management or policing and go into some kind of CID role which I could complete in two years and have a good progressional career ?

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Should I stick this out with the hopes of gaining entry into training in mid 30s or drop off now ?

Post by miriam » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Wow, that feels like a "what am I doing with my life?" post, rather than is clinical psychology the right career for me. So let me answer in two parts.

First, don't let your career define your potential for happiness. You can find joy, relationships, fulfilment, self-esteem etc without a high-paying job, or a profession, or even knowing what you want to do with your life. So if this is an issue, then take steps to solve it. Get therapy or personal development coaching, change your lifestyle, review your priorities, and find a way to enjoy where you are at right now and the journey as it unfolds. Don't hope that you will suddenly feel competent, fulfilled and attractive only at some mythical destination point. As Alan Watts said, dance whilst the music is playing.

Second, if clinical psychology is what you really want to do, then stop worrying about hypotheticals that probably won't apply. A conversion takes a year, and you can then apply for relevant posts. You wouldn't be much above average when applying for the doctorate. No reason to duplicate care work you've done. But it is a longer and more uncertain path than many careers, so it does need to be something you really understand and go into with your eyes open.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

luckyrabbit

Re: Should I stick this out with the hopes of gaining entry into training in mid 30s or drop off now ?

Post by luckyrabbit » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:42 pm

I am in a similar position to you in that by the time I complete my first psychology degree I will be 30 and would be getting relevant work exp and training after that too, so it seems a long journey ahead. Thing is, the years are gonna pass by anyway and if clinical psychology is something you want to do, unless there is something else calling you, why not pursue it? Better to put in an extra few years and be somewhere meaningful to you by the time you're middle aged than go for an easy option just for the sake of time. Plus IMO, 30s really aren't that old anyway 8)

friday

Post by friday » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:42 pm

You are nowhere near old. We'll be working until we're 70 so if you get onto the doctorate at 35 you'll still have 35 years left until retirement (I don't know whether to laugh or cry!)

What led to you considering the conversion? If it's a desire to study psychology then it's worth it, whether you go on to become a clinical psychologist or not. I think sometimes we can be so focused on doing things to get somewhere that we forget why we want to get there in the first place.

If you are considering it for the career prospects then like you say, there are plenty of other options open to you. Maybe do a pros and cons list and see if you can shadow or speak to people in the professions you're considering. Have you looked at the fast-track programmes? If time is something you are worried about this might be a good option. You might love it and even if you don't it opens up more options and means you'll always have a back up career whatever you choose to do in future. They have the bonus of being funded but be aware that if you do a fast track that includes a masters you then won't be eligible for the masters loan.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:11 pm

ryan95 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:25 am
My relationships are falling apart as no one wants to know someone who just earns very little and who puts everything into one thing.
Sounds like therapy could be a good option? There is no rush to be in a helping profession, whether clinical psychology or something else. It is important to be fairly confidence and secure in yourself to help others. It maybe helpful to think about some of the assumptions you are making e.g. that you will be too old for clinical psychology and the the above quote - are your relationships falling apart as no one want know someone who just earns very little and who puts everything into one thing? Is it because of this? Is that what people who are friends or you date want, more earnings and a broad array of interests?