Should I apply for the next intake - Part II

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
ell

Re: Should I apply for the next intake - Part II

Post by ell » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Thank you for elaborating, Siogamue.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
HWoody

Post by HWoody » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am

Siogamue wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:21 pm
Hi Woody,

I went to a pre-qualification group information day (for DClin applicantions advice) where A number of university screening staffs spoke about their process. Leicester stated that they allocate a small amount of points for living in the local area for the purpose stated above. Although we were made aware that more universities were doing this, we weren’t told how many or which ones. As you can imagine, this caused a bit of a stir in the room - we were reassured hat the points allocated were minimal but did help the university decide between candidates with very similar experience.

HWoody wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:46 am
I think there is a debate on the whole “close to base” issue as some courses give points for being local to the area, putting applicants who live further away at a disadvantage. With the current funding issues and experience of the types of areas with difficulty employing a rounded psychological workforce, I do understand why some courses are doing this - people from the area are likely to stay there and work for the local NHS, rather than those from further afield, who after receiving that area’s funding to train, are more likely to return to where they are originally from to work at higher levels for the remainder of their working lives, leaving said areas with substandard levels of staffing.
I found your reply useful Siogamue even though I'm not applying internationally, as I live in the UK.

I was interested in the above about being local (presumably working/living locally) to the university you're applying to going in your favour for some universities.

Do you know whether it is possible (and if so how) to find out which universities favour local applicants? Do they just mention it on their website if they do? It's not something I've come across so it's possible the universities I've considered do not have a preference for local applicants.

Thanks for your help :-)
Woody
Hi Siogamue, thanks very much for sharing your knowledge from the open day, that's very useful to know.

It's relevant to me to ask about this as when I come to apply I will not be able relocate (I am older/career changer so have kids in school, mortgage, husband's job etc keeping me in an area) so I am really pinning my hopes of being accepted on to one university course in particular (and would be staying in this area to work after training). As my work experience and address is in close proximity of this course I was wondering if there may be a small advantage to me in this.

But I guess it depends on the course, and area in terms of whether they struggle to recruit for CPs, I don't know about the regional variation in this.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:18 pm

"But I guess it depends on the course, and area in terms of whether they struggle to recruit for CPs, I don't know about the regional variation in this"

There are certainly areas of the UK that struggle to recruit qualified staff in all disciplines. Whether you live in one of those areas or not I can't say, of course. Whilst I understand your wanting to know if you might be advantaged by this, I'd advise against paying too much attention to it. (And I'm not directing this at you personally, HWoody. I mean this as a general observation). Really, the biggest advantage anyone can confer upon their application is to write a really strong, reflective form that gives selectors good insight into what you can bring to the table. I appreciate the level of competition makes people scrabble about for ANY little advantage (it was the same in my day and I've been qualified yonks!!) but the best chance of success still lies with making the very best of the formal application. (Hope that makes sense!!).

ell

Post by ell » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Focus your energy and time on things you can change, rather than things you can't (e.g. where you live if you have roots put down).

HWoody

Post by HWoody » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks Geisha and Ell for your advice, yes I do agree this is not something to focus on, and obviously would not expect a course to choose an inferior candidate just because they were local!

I'm lucky to have one university so close by, I know some candidates in my situation won't even have that, but it does make you obsess a bit as obviously your chances are lower than the 15% as you can't realistically apply to 4 universities.

Anyway, apologies to neuropsy for hijacking their thread with this question!