'Why do you want to be a CP' - How honest should I be

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
victoriamay

'Why do you want to be a CP' - How honest should I be

Post by victoriamay » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:06 pm

This question gets asked at interviews, and the advice is often to be genuine and honest. Trouble is, my honest answer is quite personal. My sister has severe MH issues, has attempted suicide many times, estranged herself from the family, and I've seen it all growing up. I became very aware of MH issues at a young age because of this, and it has really (genuinely) motivated me to want to make a difference. I have no trouble talking about this and don't get particularly emotional discussing it, but I don't want to come across like I'm selling my 'sob story' to try and get a place. Would I be better off just giving a generic answer?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: 'Why do you want to be a CP' - How honest should I be

Post by Geishawife » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:02 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with you bringing up your experiences and, to be honest, I would much rather hear this than a generic answer that could be pulled from a text book. It doesn't have to sound like a sob story if you are reflective and can demonstrate how your experience makes you a good candidate for training. My one note of caution would be to recognise that there might be occasions when your work is too "close to home" and this could impact negatively on either you or your work or both. This, of course, is true for all of us so I'm not suggesting you are any more likely to experience this, but it would be worth spending some time thinking about how you would recognise the signs of this and how you would deal with it. Hope that all makes sense!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:43 am

The one thing I would add to what Geishawife says is to make sure you add more information to flesh out your answer. An early interest in mental health could just as easily have led you into psychiatry, nursing, social work, occupational therapy, advocacy and mental health law - the list goes on. What is it specifically about clinical psychology that appeals to you, as opposed to all the other ways of making a difference?
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:58 pm

I don't think it is problematic to say this in interview. However. What is important is how you reflect on this choice and impact.

mungle

Post by mungle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Yes your experience is relevant but also show how your interest has developed and been shaped over the years. Such a question also offers your the opportunity to demonstrate you understand what is involved in being a CP. Why a CP and not a MH Nurse, OT, CBT Therapist, Psychoanalyst, Researcher etc.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:50 pm

I agree with all the above.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare