Clinical Audit assistance

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
ScruffyLicious

Clinical Audit assistance

Post by ScruffyLicious » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi everyone,

First post here, so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I'm just about to start work as an Honorary Assistant Psychologist, and one of the things I'll be doing is running a clinical audit for my new service. Now, I've recently finished my MSc in Clinical Psychology, but audit was one of the areas wherein which I got very little experience (there was no audit-related coursework, for example). I do know that it's part of clinical governance, and has a very close relationship to service evaluation, but that's about it.

I'm trying to be as prepared as possible for my HAP post, and was wondering if anyone can point me towards any guides, wikis etc that help me understand how to run a clinical audit, please? I did check the clin psyc wiki, but the links there are out of date.

An help/advice etc would e greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks very much!

maven
Site Admin

Re: Clinical Audit assistance

Post by maven » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 pm

You can talk about it with your supervisor, who will tell you what they want doing. You don't need to go in as an expert. But it is reasonable to know what defines an audit - particularly given we have definitions on this site.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

mungle

Re: Clinical Audit assistance

Post by mungle » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:25 pm

It is quite possible to teach yourself most of clinical audit - look at books, the HQIP website, google etc. Also, one on the role look up the clinical audit team within the NHS Trust- they may even have training sessions you can attend or meet with you 1:1. They might be called clinical audit, clinical effectiveness, clinical governance etc.