conversions: psychology in education vs psychology

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
m4ddie

conversions: psychology in education vs psychology

Post by m4ddie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:14 pm

Are psychology in education conversions treated differently to straight psychology conversions? If they're both accredited by the BPS I mean. Would I be at a disadvantage?

Thanks! :D

hawke

Re: conversions: psychology in education vs psychology

Post by hawke » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:58 pm

I have a MEd Psychology of Education and am currently a clinical psychology trainee - I got interviews for 5 of my 8 applications. Try to pick more clinical modules, assignments and research if possible - e.g.. stress, autism, LD, counselling. I have found my knowledge of some areas of clinical is weaker than some of my peers, but having an educational understanding brings a different perspective that is useful in other ways.

m4ddie

Post by m4ddie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 pm

hawke wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:58 pm
I have a MEd Psychology of Education and am currently a clinical psychology trainee - I got interviews for 5 of my 8 applications. Try to pick more clinical modules, assignments and research if possible - e.g.. stress, autism, LD, counselling. I have found my knowledge of some areas of clinical is weaker than some of my peers, but having an educational understanding brings a different perspective that is useful in other ways.
oh thank you this is really useful :) so you didn't do psychology at undergrad at all?

hawke

Post by hawke » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:48 am

m4ddie wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 pm
hawke wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:58 pm
oh thank you this is really useful :) so you didn't do psychology at undergrad at all?
No my undergrad was something totally unrelated, and my work experience was a mix of education and mental health.