The great big clinical psychology doctoral application progress thread 2022

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
BethPsyc101

Re: The great big clinical psychology doctoral application progress thread 2022

Post by BethPsyc101 »

BethPsyc101 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:39 am Hey everyone, first time applicant!

Oxford > Oxford
Birmingham > Birmingham
Lancaster > Offered test > Invited to interview
Staffordshire > Offered test > No interview

Little disappointed about being rejected by Oxford and Birmingham, but I keep trying to tell myself it's only my first time applying and all I can do is try my best! Keep telling myself it's only a practice run, see how it goes, get used to the process...
Really sad about not getting through Staffs testing stage :( But at least I have an interview for Lancaster this year! :) Keep telling myself, if not this year you can always try again!
Advertisement
Any Psychologists out there want to come and join us? We have an opportunity for an additional clinical/practitioner psychologist to join our highly skilled, tight knit, diverse clinical team https://www.amplify-yp.com/work-with-us
Oelcy

Post by Oelcy »

Hi all, first post here.

2021 (all unsuccessful)

Edinburgh - sat the tests
Glasgow
Oxford
Sheffield

Edinburgh - sat the tests
Glasgow
Teeside
Newcastle

One interview with Newcastle! Can't believe it

Has anyone heard from Edinburgh yet?
Ninjapenguin92

Post by Ninjapenguin92 »

Hello,

Second time applying:
Birmingham
Coventry & Warwick
Hertfordshire

Stafford :D :D :D (I had convinced myself that Stafford would be a no as well, so I'm absolutely made up to be offered an interview)
Betterdaystocome

Post by Betterdaystocome »

Betterdaystocome wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:04 pm 2022:
Bath
South Wales
Exeter
Oxford
2022:
Bath
South Wales
Exeter
Oxford

On the Exeter reserve list at least! Feeling quite happy with how lucky I've been this year :D Good luck to anyone who's still waiting to hear!
elsaar

Post by elsaar »

elsaar wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:54 pm 2021:
Leeds
Liverpool
Manchester
Sheffield

2022:
Leeds
Liverpool
Sheffield
Edinburgh
Trinity College Dublin (sat assessment, missed interviews by 8 points)
Well I got one interview which is better than last year. And Liverpool is my first choice. Takes only one, right?
DaniCmbl

Post by DaniCmbl »

DaniCmbl wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:20 pm
DaniCmbl wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:46 pm Second and final time applying! (Offered Health psych stage 2 training)

2021:
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Newcastle

2022:
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Newcastle
Gobsmacked to have got an interview at Glasgow! Rejection from Newcastle and still waiting on word from Edinburgh.
I can't believe I have two interviews this year! I'm amazed and will need to seriously think over my place on a health psychology doctorate if I'm offered a place on a Clinical course :shock:
BrieflyGorgeous

Post by BrieflyGorgeous »

Second year applying, first time posting!

Edinburgh - unsuccessful interview
Glasgow - unsuccessful interview
UEL - unsuccessful after test stage
CCCU - unsuccessful after test stage

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Newcastle

Leeds
UCC
UL
NUIG

Decided to post as I've seen a lot of talk about poor school grades and I wanted to show you can still get interviews! To this day I don't know how many 'points' I got at seconday school (irish leaving cert) as it wasn't worth me adding them up. I had no idea I could achieve academically.

Psychology is a second career for me, completing my undergrad as a mature student I achieved a 1st and even published my dissertation. I may not be naturally academically gifted but I've worked my ass off and here we are! I am so grateful for these opportunities but also overwhelmed and feeling like the pressure is on now :shock:

Good luck to everyone who got interviews and to those who didn't keep your heads up! There is no reason you can't come back and smash it next year (if that's what you choose to do)! I will probably be here again myself. In the meantime, let's all practice what we preach and look after ourselves :salut:
lolinka2

Post by lolinka2 »

Hello, everyone. A first timer here:
Teesside
Newcastle
Leeds

Edinburgh
CFG1993

Post by CFG1993 »

2021 (practice run, I cringe reading my old application)
Manchester
Liverpool
Leeds
Lancaster

2022:
Manchester
Lancaster

Liverpool
natmahony

Post by natmahony »

mickclinpsy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:16 pm
natmahony wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:42 pm Trinity College Dublin
UL
NUIG
UCC
UCD
Hi,

Did you receive your outcome from trinity? I'd be curious to know how you got on! I got 4th on the reserve list and I am trying to figure out whether or not I should expect an offer off of that.
Hi Mick,

Well done on the reserve! I was rejected outright - I have firsts in all of my studies and am a qualified psych in Australia (clinical and forensic), so not sure what more I could have done (am Irish so have the right to work and live, big Dublin head on me!). I will keep my fingers crossed for you that the reserve list place comes through! :D
natmahony

Post by natmahony »

BrieflyGorgeous wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:24 pm Second year applying, first time posting!

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Newcastle

Leeds
UCC
UL
NUIG

Decided to post as I've seen a lot of talk about poor school grades and I wanted to show you can still get interviews! To this day I don't know how many 'points' I got at seconday school (irish leaving cert) as it wasn't worth me adding them up. I had no idea I could achieve academically.

Psychology is a second career for me, completing my undergrad as a mature student I achieved a 1st and even published my dissertation. I may not be naturally academically gifted but I've worked my ass off and here we are! I am so grateful for these opportunities but also overwhelmed and feeling like the pressure is on now :shock:

Good luck to everyone who got interviews and to those who didn't keep your heads up! There is no reason you can't come back and smash it next year (if that's what you choose to do)! I will probably be here again myself. In the meantime, let's all practice what we preach and look after ourselves :salut:
Well done, that is a fabulous outcome so far!
mickclinpsy

Post by mickclinpsy »

natmahony wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:52 am
mickclinpsy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:16 pm
natmahony wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:42 pm Trinity College Dublin
UL
NUIG
UCC
UCD
Hi,

Did you receive your outcome from trinity? I'd be curious to know how you got on! I got 4th on the reserve list and I am trying to figure out whether or not I should expect an offer off of that.
Hi Mick,

Well done on the reserve! I was rejected outright - I have firsts in all of my studies and am a qualified psych in Australia (clinical and forensic), so not sure what more I could have done (am Irish so have the right to work and live, big Dublin head on me!). I will keep my fingers crossed for you that the reserve list place comes through! :D
That is amazing experience. You must have a fairly tan Dublin head on ya with your time in Australia lol. Good luck with the rest of your interviews. No doubt your experience will be shining through and that will put you in a very strong position. All the best!
BrieflyGorgeous

Post by BrieflyGorgeous »

natmahony wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:55 am
BrieflyGorgeous wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:24 pm Second year applying, first time posting!

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Newcastle

Leeds
UCC
UL
NUIG

Well done, that is a fabulous outcome so far!
Thank you! Good luck with your interviews - we may end up in Cork together I see lol
JungandFree

Post by JungandFree »

JungandFree wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:02 pm 2019:
East Anglia
IOPPN
RHUL
Surrey

2020:
East Anglia
IOPPN
RHUL
Surrey

2021:
East Anglia
IOPPN

UCL
Surrey

2022:
IOPPN
Surrey
RHUL
Southampton

After the mega dissapointment from last year, I feel much more confident in myself and would really like another shot at an interview. Getting rejected by the IOPPN for not having enough experience, despite interviewing with them last year, is disappointing but also not totally unexpected as I have heard about this happening before and was able to prepare myself for that possiblity.
Really happy with an interview with Southampton. Can't help be disappointed with the others though. I had always heard about this happening and the process not being particularly linear, but feels weird and confusing to actually experience it yourself, particularly when you see others with less experience get offered interviews. It almost feels more like a lucky dip sometimes in terms of who gets offered interviews, and I guess the lack of feedback does not really help with this, although I get that's it's completely impractical to offer feedback to 1000s of applicants.
BethPsyc101

Post by BethPsyc101 »

JungandFree wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:41 pm
JungandFree wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:02 pm 2019:
East Anglia
IOPPN
RHUL
Surrey

2020:
East Anglia
IOPPN
RHUL
Surrey

2021:
East Anglia
IOPPN

UCL
Surrey

2022:
IOPPN
Surrey
RHUL
Southampton

After the mega dissapointment from last year, I feel much more confident in myself and would really like another shot at an interview. Getting rejected by the IOPPN for not having enough experience, despite interviewing with them last year, is disappointing but also not totally unexpected as I have heard about this happening before and was able to prepare myself for that possiblity.
Really happy with an interview with Southampton. Can't help be disappointed with the others though. I had always heard about this happening and the process not being particularly linear, but feels weird and confusing to actually experience it yourself, particularly when you see others with less experience get offered interviews. It almost feels more like a lucky dip sometimes in terms of who gets offered interviews, and I guess the lack of feedback does not really help with this, although I get that's it's completely impractical to offer feedback to 1000s of applicants.

I've heard of that happening too, first time applicant here so trying to remind myself that that might happen to me too. Congratulations on the interview though and I wish you the best of luck!