The great big clinical psychology doctoral application progress thread 2022

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
JungandFree

Re: The great big clinical psychology doctoral application progress thread 2022

Post by JungandFree »

BethPsyc101 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:11 pm
JungandFree wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:41 pm
JungandFree wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:02 pm 2019:
East Anglia
IOPPN
RHUL
Surrey

2020:
East Anglia
IOPPN
RHUL
Surrey

2021:
East Anglia
IOPPN

UCL
Surrey

2022:
IOPPN
Surrey
RHUL
Southampton

After the mega dissapointment from last year, I feel much more confident in myself and would really like another shot at an interview. Getting rejected by the IOPPN for not having enough experience, despite interviewing with them last year, is disappointing but also not totally unexpected as I have heard about this happening before and was able to prepare myself for that possiblity.
Really happy with an interview with Southampton. Can't help be disappointed with the others though. I had always heard about this happening and the process not being particularly linear, but feels weird and confusing to actually experience it yourself, particularly when you see others with less experience get offered interviews. It almost feels more like a lucky dip sometimes in terms of who gets offered interviews, and I guess the lack of feedback does not really help with this, although I get that's it's completely impractical to offer feedback to 1000s of applicants.

I've heard of that happening too, first time applicant here so trying to remind myself that that might happen to me too. Congratulations on the interview though and I wish you the best of luck!
Ah, thank you. I imagine this thread can look quite daunting for first time applicants. Just to say, my experience is not the norm, a lot of people get on in their second/third application. Also, for me, becuase I felt my application was so strong last time, I pretty much used the same answers again, but updated them very slightly. Upon reflection, I probably should have changed my answers more, and focused much more on my most recent experience.

So basically it seems to me that re-using an old application, even if it is a very strong one, is not the way to go. Although the fact that I did get one interview, could also suggest that it might just be that the other three I applied to get some of the highest application numbers in the country and therefore there is a higher burden on people marking the applications and there is more competition etc.
Advertisement
Any Psychologists out there want to come and join us? We have an opportunity for an additional clinical/practitioner psychologist to join our highly skilled, tight knit, diverse clinical team https://www.amplify-yp.com/work-with-us
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

JungandFree wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:57 ambecuase I felt my application was so strong last time, I pretty much used the same answers again, but updated them very slightly. Upon reflection, I probably should have changed my answers more, and focused much more on my most recent experience... So basically it seems to me that re-using an old application, even if it is a very strong one, is not the way to go.
I'd definitely second this. I definitely think it works best to start your application afresh each time. Surely everyone will have gained new insights and reflections since a prior application, as well as additional experiences? But hopefully one interview will be enough :)

On another note, if anyone has been unsuccessful and wants some feedback on their application, I've put up a thread offering post-mortem reviews here: viewtopic.php?t=22436
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
This forum is free to use. If you find the site useful, you are welcome to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee to our running costs.
rowanned96

Post by rowanned96 »

Third time applying

First time no interviews

2nd time
Lancaster
Liverpool
Manchester - unfortunately not called for a place
Staffordshire

This time round
Lancaster
Liverpool
Manchester
Staffordshire

As I have the same number of interviews as last year, where I didn't get an offer, I'm trying not to get into my head that this will happen again, and hoping that as I have already interviewed at those places I may have some advantage :?

Good luck all!
SamanthaChapelle

Post by SamanthaChapelle »

SamanthaChapelle wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:38 am This is my 4th time applying, but first time posting. I managed to get on the UEA reserve list for a place last year, (no interviews with Essex, UEL or herts last year). I’m feeling nervous this year but will keep trying 🤞🏻

UEA
Essex
UEL
Hertfordshire

Good luck everyone :)
livvymaee28

Post by livvymaee28 »

livvymaee28 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:00 am First time applicant.....and for the past month I've probably refreshed this page and my emails a million times :shock: :lol:
Kept telling myself this year was a practice run but no matter how much you tell yourself that, it still hurts a little doesn't it.

UCL
Oxford

Coventry and Warwick
Royal Holloway

The last two are really testing my nerves as I haven't heard anything but guessing its a no from C&W because others have heard back.
I still haven't heard from Coventry and I can't log in to the clearing house. Going slightly mad, I am convinced it's a no but would be nice to know!!
Sheep21

Post by Sheep21 »

livvymaee28 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:01 pm
livvymaee28 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:00 am First time applicant.....and for the past month I've probably refreshed this page and my emails a million times :shock: :lol:
Kept telling myself this year was a practice run but no matter how much you tell yourself that, it still hurts a little doesn't it.

UCL
Oxford

Coventry and Warwick
Royal Holloway

The last two are really testing my nerves as I haven't heard anything but guessing its a no from C&W because others have heard back.
I still haven't heard from Coventry and I can't log in to the clearing house. Going slightly mad, I am convinced it's a no but would be nice to know!!
Do you know how the others heard back? I found out I didn't get in through the clearing house website before it went bust.
livvymaee28

Post by livvymaee28 »

Sheep21 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:25 pm
livvymaee28 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:01 pm

UCL
Oxford

Coventry and Warwick
Royal Holloway

Do you know how the others heard back? I found out I didn't get in through the clearing house website before it went bust.
Someone said the same that they saw it on their clearing house before the website went down and someone said they are probably sending letters out. So I guess it's just waiting for that or for the website to be working! :roll:
gmpowell51

Post by gmpowell51 »

gmpowell51 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:23 pm
gmpowell51 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:43 am Some background... 2020 was very much a trial run, and I was completely shocked to be put on the reserve list for interview with Edinburgh. I was working as an AP in an LD-CAMHS team and was definitely was not ready for the doctorate at that time! 2021 was my first proper go at it, and my application was much stronger than the year before. So understandably I was incredibly disappointed with a full house of rejections. I've now moved to a different AP role within a Family Safeguarding Model service and my application is not only much stronger but approached differently. Hoping it pays off, this process is soul crushing.

EDINBURGH (not called to interview)
UEA
COVENTRY/WARWICK
EXETER

UEA
SOUTHAMPTON
EDINBURGH
COVENTRY/WARWICK

EDINBURGH
SOUTHAMPTON
SOUTH WALES
UEA
I FINALLY GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
TWO INTERVIEWS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
antoniam96

Post by antoniam96 »

2021:
sheffield
Leicester
Trent
Staffordshire (not called for interview)

2022:
Manchester
Lancaster
Trent
Staffordshire
AmyRebecca

Post by AmyRebecca »

AmyRebecca wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:50 pm I don’t know how many times :lol:

2 interviews and one reserve interview last year but no success. This year:

South Wales
Bangor
Coventry and Warwick
Plymouth
Does anyone know how much movement last year?
rosie18

Post by rosie18 »

Does anyone with an interview at Lancaster know when more info will be sent over? So far have just had the initial successful application email but no specific interview date as yet.
RJParker

Post by RJParker »

No, they don't know. When the information is available it will be sent out.
MFHG

Post by MFHG »

Sheep21 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:42 pm
MFHG wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:00 pm
MFHG wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:04 pm First time applying, this is a trial run to understand the process.

Glasgow
Edinburgh (sat tests)
UEL (sat tests)
Salomons (rejected outright as missed email asking for undergrad transcript..lesson learnt)
Scored very highly on UEL tests so bit dissapointing my application/experience didn't cut the mustard.
That really sucks sorry to hear that, here's hoping Edinburgh have an invite for you
Thanks Sheep21, got a place on the reserve list for interviews at Edi and I'm actually OK with that outcome.

Good luck to everyone!
ebp2104

Post by ebp2104 »

2020 - 2months AP experience at time of applying (lol)
Lancaster (Sat test)
Staffordshire (Sat test)
Leeds
Liverpool

Glad I applied that year as I realised that the selection tests were not my strength.

2021 - Had 1yr AP exp in private sector, 2months NHS AP exp at time of applying.
Leeds
Liverpool
Teesside
Leicester

2022 - Had an additional year of NHS exp at time of applying
Leeds
Liverpool
Sheffield
UEA

Completely different outcome to last year which I put down to having an amazing supervisor, invaluable exp in a crisis service, letting go of what I thought made the 'perfect' candidate/application form, and ultimately embracing my own route into clinpsych and conveying who I am and what I have to give.
Sheep21

Post by Sheep21 »

MFHG wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:56 am
Sheep21 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:42 pm
MFHG wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:00 pm

Scored very highly on UEL tests so bit dissapointing my application/experience didn't cut the mustard.
That really sucks sorry to hear that, here's hoping Edinburgh have an invite for you
Thanks Sheep21, got a place on the reserve list for interviews at Edi and I'm actually OK with that outcome.

Good luck to everyone!
Congratulations on getting on the reserve list, everything crossed for you that you get an interview xxx