Counselling Psych

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
chantsthetherapist

Counselling Psych

Post by chantsthetherapist »

Hi,
I am currently a cbt therapist and wanting to go into counselling psychology. Could anybody give some advice on how I can balance this and working? Obviously i will need to work as its not a funded course
lozzyhickers

Re: Counselling Psych

Post by lozzyhickers »

Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question-but given that this forum was designed for aspiring Clinical Psychologists, perhaps there are some other forums or groups on social media that might be more informed on counselling psychology?
hs577

Re: Counselling Psych

Post by hs577 »

Hi,

Your manager may support you in getting the cbt hours. Then allow 2 days for the course (some courses are 3 days) per week. If it’s only a few hours each uni day either do uni work or a placement using a different therapy modality in places like the uni therapy services as one option. You could also get a different model in the voluntary sector that offers flexibility eg evening or weekend work or a different client group.

I compressed 20 hours into 2 days for pay but was just a pwp which of course and rightly wasn’t useable. I stated to keep my continuous nhs service. I imagine it would have been easier with appropriate consent, supervision, management approval etc to use some of your cbt hours towards the 450 therapy hours.

I largely did it in the first place as I didn't get the high intensity trainee role and wanted options career wise. Now I know that’s not an nhs role and thankfully never have to do a ksa portfolio again! It’s additionally so much easier to apply for other therapies too such as emdr, pgdip in various therapies etc with this qualification so don’t regret doing it.