Interview prep - book/reading recs

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
mememel

Interview prep - book/reading recs

Post by mememel »

Hello!

I have recently had an offer for interview as a recovery worker in a substance misuse service. I’m thrilled as I have been working as a support worker both in the ward and community for almost 2 years and wanted to get experience in substance misuse and addiction as this is an area of interest. I also think the variety offered in this role will improve my approach as a future clinician and I am feeling really positive about the interview.

I have a good amount of experience with assessing risk, harm reduction/suicide/self harm awareness, 1:1 and group work experience. However I want to enhance my understanding of substance misuse, relapse and the recovery journey. Does anyone have any good book or other reading recommendations? I will google etc ofc but would appreciate suggestions :)

Thank you to this community for all the sharing of wisdom and knowledge!
alexh

Re: Interview prep - book/reading recs

Post by alexh »

An introduction to motivational interviewing might be useful reading. However, I would not go crazy with reading in the weeks leading up to interview (like I did when applying for AP etc posts).

As an interviewer I am far more interested in your experiences and what you have learned from them, and your personal motivation for applying for this post than interrogating your knowledge of the area at length. Better prep is making sure you can give a good account of yourself than hearing you regurgitate something you read last week.
mememel

Re: Interview prep - book/reading recs

Post by mememel »

alexh wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:06 am An introduction to motivational interviewing might be useful reading. However, I would not go crazy with reading in the weeks leading up to interview (like I did when applying for AP etc posts).

As an interviewer I am far more interested in your experiences and what you have learned from them, and your personal motivation for applying for this post than interrogating your knowledge of the area at length. Better prep is making sure you can give a good account of yourself than hearing you regurgitate something you read last week.
Thank you I really appreciate that, I can get a bit too fixed on reading up on things so this is helpful for me. I have a lot of motivation in this area so I will focus on how to reflect that in the interview and what I’ve learned from my experiences so far.