Any regression gurus out there?

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
urmaserendipity85

Post by urmaserendipity85 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone knows where I'm going wrong getting my regression from SPSS. I've basically got one dependent variable and 4 groups of independent variables (e.g. clinical variables, self report measures etc) that I want to explore and see if any predict the variance. I wanted to do each of the groups one at a time for ease of interpretation, and we have no idea what, if anything, is going to predict the variance.
So I plugged my first group of independent variables into spss, selected stepwise regression and all I got was a table of correlations. Any advice?
Much appreciated x

Nat89

Post by Nat89 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:36 pm

If you pm me an email address I can send you some notes from lectures (masters level) I had on this stuff a few weeks ago? Don't know it well enough to write it off the top of my head but I seem to remember a step by step spss guide being involved.... :-)

nunnkle

Re: Any regression gurus out there?

Post by nunnkle » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:55 am

I also have MSc level notes I could send you if you like, not sure how helpful though, best site I use for revision or at work when I need to refresh my memory of anything stats is good old Andy Field. You probably know it, but here it is anyway....

http://www.sagepub.com/field3e/student.htm

If you havent used it, I definately reccomend having a little look. It has great info and practice datat sets and stuff, so you can work through an example [if you get the book from library or something "Discovering Statistics Using SPSS" by Andy Field]. I personally find this the best way to really get my head around anything stats based.

Good luck :D