Assistant Psychologist Interview - help?

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
maria

Assistant Psychologist Interview - help?

Post by maria » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Hello peeps,

I have just been invited to my first AP interview and am excited! There is just one thing that I am hoping you can help me with regarding that.

In the Person Specification, under Knowledge and Skills, there was a point that said: "High level computer and IT skills relating to understanding and managing data bases and data analysis.". In the column that said How Tested it said "Interview/test/application form/references". I'm guessing the test bit refers to that specific point about IT skills.

I was wondering if anyone know what the "test" is? Have any of you come across it? There is no mention of it in the invitation, and on the NHS website (where I had to confirm it) it also says no additional preparation is needed.

The Job Description mentions "good working knowledge of data base packages, i.e. Excel and Access". Does anyone know how advanced that would be?

If anyone has any advice on these I'd be grateful if you could share :) Also any other general advice would be welcome too!

Thanks!

Nat89

Re: Assistant Psychologist Interview - help?

Post by Nat89 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Congratulations on getting an interview :D

I would just be mindful of the possibility that whoever has put the person spec together has used a generic template where "application/test/interview/references" were all listed as options with the intention that the individual would delete as applicable- in your case the person may not have bothered. This has been my expereince in the past and may not mean that you are expected to evidence this knowledge across all 4 sections of the application process.

Of course this is just a possibility, if you are concerned that you may have a test there is no harm in phoning the given contact to check....you could even ask a few interesting questions about the post at the same time.....

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:13 am

Its pretty normal to have a task using excel or spss as part of the interview process. I think its pretty helpful when selecting personally, though I'd let people know there was a task when calling them to interview.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

haymond

Post by haymond » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:58 am

if you want to brush up on your excel skills there will be some guides if you look on google. Maybe search excel level 1 or level 2 guide, and some pdfs links should come up.