Asperger's Presentation

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
Bubbo

Asperger's Presentation

Post by Bubbo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:11 am

Hi All,

I have an interview next week for the position of Senior Support Worker with adults with Asperger’s Syndrome and I have been asked to prepare a short presentation that will “take the form of a short awareness talk about Asperger Syndrome and will reference major cognitive theories often cited as influential in the field of autism”.

I am currently only thinking of some vague ideas but I’m thinking of breaking the presentation down into: What is Asperger’s Syndrome, and possibly strategies that can help people with Asperger’s (if the time limit will allow me to cover this!)

I am thinking of using the headings based upon the triad and focusing on areas such as relationships/communication, routine, special interests, attention to detail and possibly sensory issues. In terms of referencing major cognitive theories, I would focus on would be ToM/Mindblindness, Executive Dysfunction theory and possibly the Weak Central Coherence theory.

As I have previously worked as an AP with adults with ASC and Asperger’s, I feel that there are so many topics that could be covered – such as the getting rid of the Asperger’s diagnosis, diagnosis of Asperger’s in females etc. Though as it states it is a short awareness talk, I think that discussing the key points to what Asperger’s Syndrome is may be more relevant – but it would be really helpful if anyone could give some general feedback as to whether they think I’m focusing on the right areas or any pointers on if I need to be thinking of covering more specific areas?

Thanks a lot :)