Non-psychology publications

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
lingua_franca

Non-psychology publications

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:03 am

After an abortive attempt at speech therapy training (for various reasons it turned out not to be the right fit) and the very unexpected offer of a postdoctoral position relevant to clinical psychology, I'm planning to apply for the DClin in the near future. It's taken me nearly six years to make up my mind. But it's been a fun six years.

Anyway, none of my publications are 'pure' psychology - I have an article in an interdisciplinary journal on peace studies (the article has some psychology content but deals mainly with anthropology of space), one in a journal of literature (it's about trauma in conflict zones, but from a cultural studies perspective), and a forthcoming book on how conflict-affected youth use storytelling to navigate polarised histories that carry a socio-political taboo - again, very anthropological and arts-y, but informed by community psychology. I have one relevant conference presentation - I led a practitioner workshop on the role of storytelling in humanitarian mental health provision. I'm curious to know how such publications would be viewed on a DClinPsy application form. I'm going to try and publish a few things in psychology journals during my postdoc and I have my eye out for psychology conferences with a clinical slant, but I hope that my previous work isn't going to get discounted. :? One of the things that has kept scaring me off applying for training is the conviction that I'm just not enough of a scientist, and I'm afraid my publication history makes me look this way.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Spatch

Re: Non-psychology publications

Post by Spatch » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:02 pm

none of my publications are 'pure' psychology - .... I have one relevant conference presentation - I led a practitioner workshop on the role of storytelling in humanitarian mental health provision. I'm curious to know how such publications would be viewed on a DClinPsy application form. I'm going to try and publish a few things in psychology journals during my postdoc and I have my eye out for psychology conferences with a clinical slant, but I hope that my previous work isn't going to get discounted.
After they get to a certain point people become selective in what you highlight in terms of publication.

When starting off, and you have that single article or presentation, its fairly straightforward -that's the only evidence you have you can publish and disseminate. When you have more it becomes about conveying a particular message -that you are a credible expert in area X/ that you can write textbooks well/ that you can achieve a certain impact factor journals etc. So much of this will depend on where you are by the time you apply and how your publications weave in with the rest of your form.

Bear in mind you can't really second guess the selection hive mind. Some traditionalists may place great emphasis on "proper" empirical psychological research, whereas others may not even glance at the publications section at all. However, I do think it is important to be coherent, and have been left cold in the past by applications where you can't really get a sense of the person, but instead get a jungle of acronyms, buzz words and random bits and pieces.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

lingua_franca

Re: Non-psychology publications

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:24 am

Thanks, Spatch. I started this thread when I was under a lot of stress preparing for my PhD viva. I was also feeling quite worried about the future in general, and I've realised that this was due to a couple of new HCAs arriving at work who also hope to apply for the DCinPsy. For me psychology is one interesting job possibility among several, so I've never really felt inadequate or envious before, but hearing people constantly discussing the doctorate, their experience, and how difficult it is to get on is more anxiety-provoking than I'd realised! I've never had so much IRL exposure to these conversations before.

Now that the viva is over and I'm calmer, I've decided that I will write articles about things that have gripped me and I really want to write about. My fieldwork with conflict-affected children might not have led to publications in 'pure' psychology journals, but I have still learnt a lot of relevant skills from it, especially in terms of group work and managing very tense situations with people who are highly polarised. Recently my supervisors commented that I take my skills for granted and don't sell myself enough, so rather than trying to tick more publication boxes to please the selection hive mind, as you put it, I will just try and be more confident in what I've already done.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.