Can working in administration be a good form of experience

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
PsychDelight

Can working in administration be a good form of experience

Post by PsychDelight » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi all,

I have currently been offered the role of referral advisor within a mental health service. As part of the role, we signpost individuals to the relevant practitioners as well as process all the referrals that come into the service. However, I question to whether this can add to my experience. I have aspirations to apply for the CP doctorate course. Currently I am a support worker in home for learning disabilities. Would you say there is any point accepting the job or carry on with my current role

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Can working in administration be a good form of experience

Post by maven » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 pm

I'd generally say admin jobs are a poor way to get experience, but this one at least sounds like it has some thought about referral information, some contact with service users and the possibility to conduct an audit. So it might be alright. You could always apply and then find out.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:51 pm

That sounds like the sort of job that might be good experience in order to get jobs that will give you good experience for clinical psychology, rather than good in its own right.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

PsychDelight

Post by PsychDelight » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:38 pm

Definitely! I applied for the UCL PWP course this year and unfortunately didn't get it due to limited experience. So my plan was to do this role while studying my masters and then progress to other roles such as AP or trainee PWP roles. I also wanted to add its the Single Point of Access and Rapid Response team so I will be working alongside clinical advisors as well