Change to PWP CBT therapy or assistant clinical psych

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
ash123

Change to PWP CBT therapy or assistant clinical psych

Post by ash123 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi guys

I’m hoping that a few people will be willing to give me some advice about psychological employment opportunities suited to my qualifications and interests.

I have a BSc in psychology and MSc in forensic psychology. I have recently secured a job as a trainee forensic psychologist in prison. I would broadly define my role as involving risk assessment, consultancy and research. I have discovered that stage 3 qualification has taken some trainees 5-10 years which was a massive shock. Also, I have found that the role doesn’t involve a great deal of therapeutic intervention with clients and much of this work falls within the scope of the mental health team, the mental health nurse. I don’t see a particular future for me within interventions within prison as the scope for development is highly limited.

I have researched alternative jobs which would afford me with a greater opportunity to deliver psychological therapy with clients but still retain my interest in risk assessment. I have a strong interest in clinical practice, working with service users with PD, and major mental illness.

I’m unsure of the major difference in the role of a PWP (psychological wellbeing practitioner) CBT therapist and assistant clinical psychologist. I’m looking for a role that is challenging and of a comparative level to a trainee psychologist. I’m slightly concerned that the PWP role may be lower than a psych assistant and I don’t want to take a major step back in my career. I have looked at job descriptions for PWPs and discovered one for a band 7 CBT therapist. I don’t want to return to full time study and would prefer a trainee role most likely within the NHS IAPT service.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this topic.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Esuma

Re: Change to PWP CBT therapy or assistant clinical psych

Post by Esuma » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:37 pm

I’m quite surprised by your description of the role of a trainee forensic psychologist... the trainee where I currently work does a lot more than described! She designed and delivered a psychology group, and does mostly clinical work doing 1:1 interventions as well as running groups, delivers training, does risk assessments etc.. could it just be the service you’re working in? She did tell me that the route can take a long time but it may be because a lot of services don’t have everything you need experience wise to complete training whilst where we work does everything so would it be worth looking at forensic mental health hospitals or similar? It just sounds a shame to give up on something that sounds better suited to your interests than PWP? Just my thoughts, I don’t really understand the forensic route that well!

ash123

Re: Change to PWP CBT therapy or assistant clinical psych

Post by ash123 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:11 pm

I have to admit that I have been in the post less than a month so things are extremely new to me. My initial perceptions were enough to shock me into reflection about my role and my future within the service.

I’m glad to hear that other trainees have different experiences. I think mine may be due to the prison regime which I was unaware of, meaning that opportunities for engagement in therapeutic interventions does vary across the custodial estate. I appreciate your thoughts, I do think that I may not feel adequately challenged by the PWP pathway.