Interview for AP Band 4 at Stoke Mandeville Hospital

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
Melissam

Interview for AP Band 4 at Stoke Mandeville Hospital

Post by Melissam » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:40 am

Hi everyone,

I have my first interview for an Assistant Psychologist posting in a few weeks, and I am looking for some advice on the type of interview I will be facing. I know it's in front of panel, but not much more. Is it Competency Based?

Ant advice? I have no previous clinical experience... but I have worked in the Humanitarian Aid field for some time. So, this is a new one for me.

Thanks for your help,

Melissa

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Interview for AP Band 4 at Stoke Mandeville Hospital

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:21 pm

I've only had one AP interview, so I'm not an expert on how they go, but mine had a lot of competency-based "Tell me about a time when you..." questions, plus a few things on research design (but this was because they were recruiting an AP to help deliver a pilot project - you may not get this kind of question). I have a similar background to yours and I find it's a natural transition from the humanitarian sector to mental health. Think about specific aspects of work in the humanitarian field that might relate to an AP role, for example multi-agency working, capacity-building, risk assessment, and ethics (confidentiality, etc). Good luck. :)
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Esuma

Re: Interview for AP Band 4 at Stoke Mandeville Hospital

Post by Esuma » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:34 pm

I had an interview for an AP post at Stoke Mandeville a couple of years back and it was one of the most positive experiences (despite the rejection!). I have no idea if it is likely to be the same interviewers of course, but they were friendly and tried to get the best out of you. I’d say like any interview look at the person spec and see how you can evidence your ability to do the criteria with evidence and examples. If the role involves research perhaps brush up on that too and some knowledge around how the people you’ll be working with will be supported by the psych department and what that might look like. Good luck!