PWP Contractual obligation

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
lottrum

PWP Contractual obligation

Post by lottrum » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Hello,
I'm aware that in certain regions there's a contractual/learning agreement to stay working within a trust for a specified period of time after qualifying as a PWP - is this quite commonplace though? I appreciate that if a trust has invested money in a trainee then it's reasonable for the trainee to stay working within the trust afterwards!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
hawke

Re: PWP Contractual obligation

Post by hawke » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:56 pm

I've seen them from 6 months to 2 years on paper, but never actually enforced.

lottrum

Post by lottrum » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks for the reply hawke.
Seems to be a bit of a disparity then

ell

Post by ell » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:19 am

I've heard of trusts making PWPs pay back portions of the training costs if they leave within a certain period after completing training. Not sure of the time period, but I suppose that's the same as having a contractual obligation to stay?

lottrum

Post by lottrum » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:35 am

Hi ell, yes i suppose it is. Probably the trainee vacancies are based on need within the trust. I think it was a similar situation with the physician associate role - some trusts were in need of PAs so they funded the courses but stipulated qualified PAs should stay working within that trust

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:51 pm

I've heard similar, 6 months - 2 years but I'm not sure how often this is enforced.

In my current service, a PWP working for a consortium partner applied for a trainee high intensity after a year and bit of qualifying. They were successful and the condition of paying back was not enforced.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

ell

Post by ell » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 am

I know someone who recently finished paying off the few thousands they owed the trust for this. So it does get enforced.

lottrum

Post by lottrum » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 am

Oh really, I am just mindful that when I apply for trainee vacancies then I need to bear this in mind

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:55 am

We do not have anything in our contracts that ask you to pay back money but naturally there is an expectation to stay after you have completed your training year :D

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm really surprised. In my 10 years in IAPT I have never heard or seen any PWP / HI trainee being asked to pay money back. In London the situation is that everyone is offered a 12-month contract, after which they are free to go wherever they want.