Where do I start looking for CPD/training/conferences etc?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Tatiana

Where do I start looking for CPD/training/conferences etc?

Post by Tatiana » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:41 am

So, I've just finished my first year as a professional post qualifying. I have not been supported at all to progress, no training or anything was offered (yes, I did ask..) and I see other colleagues at my stage having far more extra qualifications, e.g. trained in another form of therapy etc.

More importantly though--I'd just like to re-discover my love for Clinical Psychology and mingle with other likeminded people, hear experts talk, learn more, progress.
But I don't really know where to start...

Where do other people find conferences, training, events, retreats... ?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Where do I start looking for CPD/training/conferences etc?

Post by maven » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:39 pm

The BPS has regular events, and they are heavily subsidised for members, but not promoted that widely outside of the membership (though you can find them on the website). The ACP has a launch conference coming up. Then there are interest groups related to the population you work with. For example ACAMH do events related to child and adolescent mental health, or BACP/BABCP/UKCP do events related to adult therapies, or there are qualifications in additional therapeutic techniques that you can google. You need to find what you want to, then make a case of why it is worth funding or at least releasing you in work time to complete them. Nobody is going to bring them to you on a plate these days, and you might need to self-fund if it is something you passionately want to do!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare