Delivery of trauma training

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Berry234

Delivery of trauma training

Post by Berry234 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:54 am

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum but I just wanted to gather your thoughts. I work for a third sector organisation dealing with substance use clients. They recently offered the opportunity to attend an 8 day training course which had been approved by the BPS for the purposes of CPD entitled Certificate in Trauma. A few people from our organisation attended this training, none of them with prior knowledge or qualifications in psychology/nursing etc. That was not a requirement of the course.
However, I now have a bit of a concern. Since they went on this training, management are now very keen for them to establish a trauma clinic to work with clients who identify as having trauma issues within our service. The staff involved are excited about this and we have been told to keep an eye out for clients who could be referred.
I just have concerns about this. I'm not sure that a brief certificate in trauma, which involved no practical experience and no prior qualifications entitles you to be able to carry out trauma work with clients? The agency have played on the fact it is approved by the BPS but I'm fairly certain they didn't approve it as a training session for enabling people to become trauma therapists, given that any training related to that that I have come across requires degrees and further training etc.
I have tried to voice my concerns about this with management but they have been dismissed. What would you make of this situation? Does this sound like it's right?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Delivery of trauma training

Post by miriam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:02 pm

There is a general concern that I have raised about BPS approved training, and this being misrepresented to provide a greater level of competence than it does, so I would encourage you to contact the BPS about this. As to whether there is sufficient competency to deliver a service, that is probably best discussed with a manager or supervisor, or a local CP with knowledge of the context.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Berry234

Post by Berry234 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks Miriam. I have hesitated about contacting the BPS because I seem to be the only person in the organisation who has concerns about this. But equally, I'm also the only member of staff (including management) with any knowledge and qualification in psychology and even that is just my honours degree, and post grad study. I think the entire organisation is misrepresenting and over selling this, mostly due to a lack of understanding of what it actually means.But also sadly I fear for other reasons I won't go in to here.
However, it isn't entirely clear what they will be offering yet so I have held back. I have voiced concerns with managers and tried to establish what is being offered but was ignored.
I think I will keep an eye on it just now and see how this service is going to play out.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Just to clarify, what I am suggesting feeding back to the BPS is your experience that their use of endorsements of training can then be misrepresented, not anything about the service (the BPS would have no power to address concerns about the service).
Miriam

Berry234

Post by Berry234 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 am

Hi Miriam,
Absolutely. I understand that. In relation to the service, I'm not holding back so that I can report the service itself to the BPS. I just want to wait to see what they are actually going to deliver before I contact the BPS to say that I feel their endorsement is misrepresented. At this point, I don't know for definite that it has been or will be. It may be that the people involved are over emphasising their role, that someone changes the nature of the service, that there is actually someone keeping an eye on this etc. It might all fall in to place and actually not be a misrepresentation, if they are just going to be workers who can claim to be trauma informed.
I'm probably not explaining this very well but to put it bluntly - I need to be sure that this isn't just the ego of certain staff members misrepresenting this within the staff team and in reality the agency has no intention of backing the service as they are describing it, or whether actually the whole course has been misrepresented and they do intend to deliver something with the belief that they are fully trained and able to do that because of the BPS endorsement. If that was to be the case then I feel I would be able to contact the BPS about the misrepresentation of their training endorsements.
A lot was made of the BPS endorsement at the time the training was suggested to staff, and there didn't seem to be any real understanding of what that meant, which in fairness to them is almost understandable if psychology and all its regulations etc aren't something that you are familiar with. I have worried from the start that they saw this course as offering more in terms of training than it actually did because of the BPS endorsement.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:48 pm

Sounds sensible.
Miriam