Edinburgh doctorate NHS boards

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
lkjhgfdsaa

Edinburgh doctorate NHS boards

Post by lkjhgfdsaa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 pm

I’ve been offered an interview for the Edinburgh doctorate. I’ve been thinking about it and I’d put Dumfries and Galloway as my last option for a placement...however now I’ve thought about it I would really hate to live there for three years.

Can I contact them before interview and remove Dumfries and Galloway as an option? Or are Edinburgh strict on what placements you’ve put down?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
benbrand

Re: Edinburgh doctorate NHS boards

Post by benbrand » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Didn't we have to rank all placements? I'm a little foggy on the details of the preference forms. If it's last on your list then it shouldn't really be an issue, should it?

jessicaaaa

Post by jessicaaaa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Lkjhgfdsaa, I had an interview last year with Edinburgh (and one again this year). Last year they let you change and discuss your placement choices at interview. My understanding is that they advise you to only put places that realistically you would be willing to work in, because (especially if you are on the reserve list) you may be offered a place anywhere that you ticked "yes" for or ranked (although they try to accommodate your ranked preferences). Hope this makes sense! (P.s. having regrets about my selection too - may re-evaluate at the interview like you depending on how my other interviews go!)

Benbrand, as I understand it (may be wrong so please double check) you didn't have to "rank" all preferences- you rank which ones you want to be considered for and mark an "X" for those you would not want to be considered for. E.g. I ranked 1-Lanarkshire 2-Forth Valley 3-Lothian (etc.) ... but X-grampain X-tayside (etc.)

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Oh I'm glad they've changed a bit with that jessicaaa - when I interviewed back in 2014, on the day I couldn't change at all because of the health board interviewing me already. So I suddenly really didn't want to be put in Elgin, but I was being interviewed in the north rather than the south, and was told that there wasn't much of any scope for movement (even within the boards in the north).

It's definitely worth emailing and checking Lkjhgfdsaa - at least then you'll have a definitive answer on the current stance.

benbrand

Post by benbrand » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:39 pm

AnsweringBell wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:57 pm
Oh I'm glad they've changed a bit with that jessicaaa - when I interviewed back in 2014, on the day I couldn't change at all because of the health board interviewing me already. So I suddenly really didn't want to be put in Elgin, but I was being interviewed in the north rather than the south, and was told that there wasn't much of any scope for movement (even within the boards in the north).

It's definitely worth emailing and checking Lkjhgfdsaa - at least then you'll have a definitive answer on the current stance.
This is good to know! Thank you.

jessicaaaa

Post by jessicaaaa » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:46 pm

Ooh thanks for clarifying AnsweringBell, come to think of it, when at the interview last year I took the opportunity to expand my choices (which they allowed me to do). Come to think of it, it might not be as easy to remove some of your choices. Definitely best to email to clarify.

sazzlesaz

Post by sazzlesaz » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi! I’m wondering if you have had any response from the uni regarding this?
Thanks!