Has anyone got on to Dclin doctorate with a 2.1 on a Msc Conversion psychology course ?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
ryan95

Has anyone got on to Dclin doctorate with a 2.1 on a Msc Conversion psychology course ?

Post by ryan95 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:47 pm

I am worried and feeling a little downtrodden as to all the negative postings about people trying for 10+ years to get onto the doctorate. This is kind of soul destroying as I am nearing 30 and just decided I want to purse this as a career.

My background is very different from other applicants

BA fine Art: 1st class with honours
PGCE HE Education: Pass
MA Counselling and Psychotherapy: Merit (three years)
Rasa 6month course on CBT interventions: Pass

Experience
10+ years working in mental health services in a community and private capacity both with elderly and child services.
Counselling experience working with traumatised children using creative therapies and CBT
Voluntary experience counselling children and individuals with acquired brain injuries.
Voluntary experience mentoring individuals out on probation, substance abuse and domestic violence referrals were the main body of work.
Voluntary work based around working in a listening ear capacity for people in Neuro rehab services.
Presently working in a research and admin capacity for Mencap.

BACP member

I am thinking of applying for a Msc conversion in psychology starting in September to be able to gain AP posts and the like in order to apply for the doctorate in the future but unsure if my current experience is enough.

I am also a little worried of the academic challenges of the Msc i am applying to Chester university if this helps.

Alex

Re: Has anyone got on to Dclin doctorate with a 2.1 on a Msc Conversion psychology course ?

Post by Alex » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:48 am

Just to counter the posts you read - I got on to doctorate within a year after graduating, first time applying and only had a support worker role. I didn't go to a fancy uni, I didn't have an AP post and just missed a first. My advice is to keep focused and work on the tendency to worry.

firegal
Team Member

Re: Has anyone got on to Dclin doctorate with a 2.1 on a Msc Conversion psychology course ?

Post by firegal » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:17 am

Don't have much to say on the conversion Msc, but in terms of years of experience, I got on the DClin a few years after graduating with mostly support work and RA experience, I had a very poor 8 month AP post in private services. Most of my cohort are actually a little younger than me and had fewer years between graduating and being accepted, so mine was possibly one of the longer routes and it still seemed perfectly manageable :)

laurenr

Post by laurenr » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:51 pm

My first degree was in Neuroscience - got a 2:1. Did a masters conversation course to Psychology at Sussex (distinction) and got onto training 3 years later. It's not impossible.