Is my training equivalent to that of a high intensity PWP

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
ryan95

Is my training equivalent to that of a high intensity PWP

Post by ryan95 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:39 pm

I am unsure if I could apply directly to a PWP position without having to have a PWP degree as I feel I have enough relevant experience.

I hold a masters degree in counselling and psychotherapy, I also have a level 5 in CBT interventions.

And hold a level 5 certification in working with children an adolescents in a therapeutic setting

I am a member of the BACP and not far off from accreditation.

I also have significant experience working with Neuro injuries and complex mental health disorders.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
hawke

Re: Is my training equivalent to that of a high intensity PWP

Post by hawke » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:42 am

Firstly, there is a difference between 'high intensity' and PWPs:
High intensity = CBT therapist = step 3
Low intensity = PWP = step 2

And in answer to your question, it would depend on the service. The latest IAPT best practice guidance states that all PWPs should hold the IAPT PWP qualification, and increasingly services are following this guidance. So in many services, you would have to apply for a trainee post (band 4), complete the qualification and could then work as a band 5 PWP.

Also make sure you are fully aware of what the PWP job entails before going for it. It is CBT-informed guided self-help, not CBT therapy. Most counsellor-trained colleagues (but not all) I worked with as PWPs have struggled with the high volume, low intensity nature of the job. You simply can't connect on a counselling level to 25+ clients a week, most of whom you will only see 1-6 times.

Alternatively, you might be eligible to apply for a high-intensity training post (band 6), complete the IAPT CBT qualification, and then work as a qualified band 6/7 high intensity therapist. Much more therapy involved, which in my experience, counsellors have tended to get on better with. You say you have a level 5 in CBT - if this gives you BABCP accreditation, you could apply straight for the qualified jobs.

Alternatively, there are therapeutically-based jobs opening up in secondary care at band 5/6 that have traditionally been held by nurses, but are now increasingly being offered up as generic posts because of recruitment issues/skill mix considerations.