Can counselling psychologists apply for clinical psychologist job vacancies ?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
ryan95

Can counselling psychologists apply for clinical psychologist job vacancies ?

Post by ryan95 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 pm

I recently spoke to a counselling psychologist and she explained that she can apply for work that advertises a clinical psychologist posting. This confused me a little as I tried to work out the linkages in training and role suitability. Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Can counselling psychologists apply for clinical psychologist job vacancies ?

Post by miriam » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:58 am

Worth reading up on this. Broadly, some posts are for practitioner psychologists, and a CoP could apply, but some specify a CP. There is quite a lot of overlap in competencies, and CoPs like to think they are equivalent, but I think there is generally more variability in quality and more focus on the therapeutic and reflective elements and less on research, breadth of experience and evidence based practice. However everyone seems to have different views and experiences, so it is worth looking back at past threads about the differences and similarities between the practitioner branches of psychology.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

bluegoat

Re: Can counselling psychologists apply for clinical psychologist job vacancies ?

Post by bluegoat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:09 pm

miriam wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:58 am
Worth reading up on this. Broadly, some posts are for practitioner psychologists, and a CoP could apply, but some specify a CP. There is quite a lot of overlap in competencies, and CoPs like to think they are equivalent, but I think there is generally more variability in quality and more focus on the therapeutic and reflective elements and less on research, breadth of experience and evidence based practice. However everyone seems to have different views and experiences, so it is worth looking back at past threads about the differences and similarities between the practitioner branches of psychology.
I suggest you, and anyone else who is interested in this, reads this https://www.bps.org.uk/sites/bps.org.uk ... 1_2010.pdf

Psychologist managers and leaders are specifically advised that advertisements for psychology posts should seek applications from Applied Psychologists who meet the required competences for the post. Where specific essential competences, usually associated with an adjectival title such as clinical, counselling, health, forensic or educational, are needed this must be clearly specified. This specific requirement must be justified and consider issues of equal opportunity and employment laws. Consideration must be given to whether an applicant, through CPD and post qualification experience may have acquired these competences, despite adjectival title, and so be eligible for the post. If you require further information please contact ppbchair@bps.org.uk