Should I apply??

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
DaniLoren

Should I apply??

Post by DaniLoren » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi everyone,

My Clinical Supervisor has suggested that I apply for the Doctorate yesterday. I definitely feel ready to start the application process. I am not expecting to get on first time (I know this is quite rare) but you have to do your first application at some point right.

Educational experience
- BSC Psychology (1st Class)
- MSc in Research in Clinical Psychology (Distinction)

Research experience
- Unpublished service audits to improve care.
- Case study on barriers to treatment, currently unpublished but attempting to get this published.
- I have also created my own intervention which is currently unpublished but being carried out within services.

Work experience
- 4 years part time within a school, it was an AP role without the job title. (Originally I wanted to be an education psychologist, but changed my mind for many reasons).
- 4 months as a HCW in an adult low secure mental health and learning disability hospital (Private sector)
- 6 months as an AP within an adult low secure mental health and learning disability hospital (private sector)
- I am about to start a fixed term role as an AP within the NHS (EPUT) working with adults in the community.

Potential Problem with applying
- I have a trip booked for 3 weeks around the middle of October. This is a family commitment that I cannot get out of. I don't want to apply if I have to then reject my offer (if accepted).

Questions
- Will the trip force me to turn down offers if I am accepted?
- What would I miss if I was able to accept an offer and take the trip?
- Is there any point applying?

If anyone has any advice, please share!!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Iggy1

Re: Should I apply??

Post by Iggy1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:38 pm

See the 'Do I have enough experience to apply for an Assistant Psychologist post?' thread

buenosaires

Post by buenosaires » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Hey - re your trip, that would almost certainly be a problem I'm afraid.

Most courses begin around late September with an intensive teaching block which would comprise of core learning which you would need to carry forward for your first placement and beyond. Think you would put yourself under a lot of stress by missing out on such a crucial bit of teaching in any case - playing catch up while adjusting to placement and then going straight into your first course assignments does not sound like my idea of fun!

My course has advised that all uni days are mandatory and you are not allowed to take holiday during term time which would mean missing lectures. I imagine it would be similar for other programmes - sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

ChrisCross

Post by ChrisCross » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:07 pm

If you genuinely feel ready to apply, then I'd say go for it and apply. It's so hard to give advice based on a list of experiences, as others on the forum have pointed out previously. The most important factor is how you reflect on these experiences and how they have shaped you to be ready for clinical psychology training. This is exactly what an interview panel will be looking for and a list of time spent working in x position just can't do that justice I'm afraid. It definitely is possible to get a training place first time and soon after graduating (I had worked for less than a year as an AP when I applied and got on, first time), but you need to consider where you apply to. Some courses will not consider you without at least one or two year's paid experience, whereas others will not take into account your past work history at all. For example, Lancaster are more interested in your potential to become a competent clinical psychologist (have a look at their website if you want to find out more about how they select).

The timing of your trip could be a problem, but I can't really comment as I don't know what course policy is on this. I did have a two-week holiday planned before I started training (and this was bang in the middle of a teaching block, albeit not the induction block as yours might be depending on where you apply). I spoke with the course director, we agreed a plan for me to catch up on the work I would be missing and it wasn't a problem. But again, this might depend on where you apply.

Forgive me if I'm making an assumption here, but your post left me wondering if you might be feeling anxious or unsure about applying (understandably, as I know there is so much hype and uncertainty about getting on to training). Putting in an application might help to demystify the process for you, so even if you don't get a place you might know what to expect next time.

Having said all of that, bear in mind that you don't have to rush through the process and sometimes it's better to take your time with the journey (easy for me to say, I know, but the doctorate is hard work and you could end up feeling disappointed and disheartened if you later find out that clinical psychology isn't the career you were hoping for after all).

DaniLoren

Post by DaniLoren » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:52 pm

Iggy1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:38 pm
See the 'Do I have enough experience to apply for an Assistant Psychologist post?' thread
Hi, the reason I did a separate post was because it is regarding my trip rather than experience. I posted my experience just to provide some background information. But thank you, I will look at the thread for some advice.

DaniLoren

Post by DaniLoren » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:56 pm

ChrisCross wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:07 pm
If you genuinely feel ready to apply, then I'd say go for it and apply. It's so hard to give advice based on a list of experiences, as others on the forum have pointed out previously. The most important factor is how you reflect on these experiences and how they have shaped you to be ready for clinical psychology training. This is exactly what an interview panel will be looking for and a list of time spent working in x position just can't do that justice I'm afraid. It definitely is possible to get a training place first time and soon after graduating (I had worked for less than a year as an AP when I applied and got on, first time), but you need to consider where you apply to. Some courses will not consider you without at least one or two year's paid experience, whereas others will not take into account your past work history at all. For example, Lancaster are more interested in your potential to become a competent clinical psychologist (have a look at their website if you want to find out more about how they select).

The timing of your trip could be a problem, but I can't really comment as I don't know what course policy is on this. I did have a two-week holiday planned before I started training (and this was bang in the middle of a teaching block, albeit not the induction block as yours might be depending on where you apply). I spoke with the course director, we agreed a plan for me to catch up on the work I would be missing and it wasn't a problem. But again, this might depend on where you apply.

Forgive me if I'm making an assumption here, but your post left me wondering if you might be feeling anxious or unsure about applying (understandably, as I know there is so much hype and uncertainty about getting on to training). Putting in an application might help to demystify the process for you, so even if you don't get a place you might know what to expect next time.

Having said all of that, bear in mind that you don't have to rush through the process and sometimes it's better to take your time with the journey (easy for me to say, I know, but the doctorate is hard work and you could end up feeling disappointed and disheartened if you later find out that clinical psychology isn't the career you were hoping for after all).
Thank you, this is a great help. I am definitely going to get in contact with some course directors to see exactly how their programme works and mention whether there would be opportunities to work out a plan to catch up.

I am a little worried about applying yes. I had a plan that I would wait until I had two years of AP experience before applying; however, talks with my supervisor as well as my experiences and reflections, suggest that I am ready. I think because this has differed from my original 'plan' it sent me a little off track, but that's life!!

DaniLoren

Post by DaniLoren » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:57 pm

buenosaires wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Most courses begin around late September with an intensive teaching block which would comprise of core learning which you would need to carry forward for your first placement and beyond. Think you would put yourself under a lot of stress by missing out on such a crucial bit of teaching in any case - playing catch up while adjusting to placement and then going straight into your first course assignments does not sound like my idea of fun!

My course has advised that all uni days are mandatory and you are not allowed to take holiday during term time which would mean missing lectures. I imagine it would be similar for other programmes - sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Thank you, this helps a lot. It is not bas news as such, just want to gather as much information before applying!

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:02 pm

I know that some courses start in early September so by mid October there teaching block would be over. However, a lot of courses won’t allow teaching days to be taken, however a pre booked holiday may be allowed?

Only thing that may also be worth bearing in mind is that when I started due to the time frame we had about 13 days leave to use until the 1st April.

buenosaires

Post by buenosaires » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:13 pm

DaniLoren wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:57 pm
buenosaires wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Thank you, this helps a lot. It is not bas news as such, just want to gather as much information before applying!
Of course! Personally I would apply - like you said there is no guarantee of getting on, and I for one found my first round of applications so incredibly informative... the learning for me was definitely the difference between getting on and not! Almost wish I had applied earlier haha.

Though you might find some unis with earlier start dates that might mean you save yourself missing the entirety of the first teaching block, I would really encourage you to prioritise applying for courses which are inline with your own preferences re theoretical approaches etc. At the end of the day it IS only three weeks out of a three year programme and would be annoying to find yourself on a course that doesn’t offer any teaching on your preferred approach or has an ethos which doesn’t feel true to you!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:25 pm

I'd say apply, follow the process through, and if and when you are offered places worry about the trip. It might never get to the point of an offer, and if you get an offer, they might be able to make a plan to catch up or defer the place, but if they can't you have had the experience and can hope that it will still be possible to gain a place again the following year.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Miriam is right, I don't think you can overestimate the value of doing screening tasks (if relevant) and going to an interview at somewhere you want a place regardless of if you don't get one immediately.