NHS vs Third Sector

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Beggarsroost

NHS vs Third Sector

Post by Beggarsroost » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi All,

I have recently been offered two jobs. They are essentially the same role but one is in the NHS and one is for a voluntary organisation/ social Enterprise. I am a little torn with what one to accept and am wondering what benefits working for the NHS has over the third sector.

-The third sector role pays a fair bit more
- Both roles are for the same number of hours each week
- Both roles are permanent
- Both are roughly equal commuting ease/distance
- Holiday entitlement is the same for each

Should I just take the third sector job as its a higher salary or are there other benefits to being part of the NHS? The main benefits that are making me pause are things like good maternity pay (would like to have another child in next couple of years or so), more job security (?), ease/ greater possibilities of development/ promotion within an organisation such as the NHS.

Does anyone have any advice or any other drawbacks/ benefits of working in either sector that I might not have thought of?
Life is far too important to be taken seriously

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: NHS vs Third Sector

Post by Randomswirls » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:56 pm

If your goal is to get on the Dclin I’d say the biggest advantage to working in the nhs is continuous service.

Having recently been of sick I had accrued 5 months full pay and 5 months half pay and I am nearly at the point of increasing my annual leave entitlement etc.

Had I started the course with no or limited csd this would have been very different as I would have ended up on statutory sick pay for a significant time frame.

I don’t know if this has any bearing on maternity leave?

I think one thing courses look for is an understanding of the nhs so this may help you if you haven’t had experience of the nhs before.

If none of the above is particularly relevant than I’d go for the place where the interview felt best!!!

miriam
Site Admin

Re: NHS vs Third Sector

Post by miriam » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:13 pm

Indeed, the better pension and leave quota in the NHS is worth 25% more pay than a non-NHS job, and much more so if you expect to want to take a maternity leave in the foreseeable future. But I'd also compare by any differences in the role or the team, working environment and culture, as social enterprises can be really mission-led and dynamic compared to the slow-moving NHS with its higher levels of burnout and bureaucracy. You might also want to find out how much CP contact you'd get in each role, if clinical training is your long term goal.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com