Working in IAPT?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
jwardmagic

Working in IAPT?

Post by jwardmagic » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:57 am

Apologies if this has been asked already; oddly I couldn't find any direct answers to the question, so I hope I'm not out of place by posting it here.

I have been considering attempting to get work as a low-intensity/Psychological Well-being Practitioner. However, I'm a bit confused as to how to actually do it. I have an MSc in Health Psychology (Distinction and two awards), a publication, and I have an unconditional offer onto a Health Psychology doctorate, but before starting I want to get into work I would enjoy more.

The BPS website says that individuals working as a PWP require a qualification in CBT (e.g. a Pgcert). However, the Pgcert in CBT at my chosen University requires you already work in IAPT to be accepted?

If someone could help clear my confusion, I'd be really grateful.

Thank you.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
ForeverJung

Re: Working in IAPT?

Post by ForeverJung » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi,

To answer your question, the qualifications/courses are tied into job offers. The route into a PWP post would be to first apply for a PWP trainee position. If successful at interview, the trust you are interested in will recommend you to their affiliated university. You will then have to complete a university interview/assessment day to secure a place on the course. The course and clinical work run simultaneously.

I believe that there are also undergraduate courses that lead directly to employment as a PWP, but I know very little about this and from your experience it doesn't seem like a sensible route.

Out of curiosity, why are you committing to a doctorate in Health Psych if you feel you would enjoy the work of a PWP more?