First ever AP interview at 26 - so nervous!

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
swiftiehd

First ever AP interview at 26 - so nervous!

Post by swiftiehd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Hi everyone!

So I currently work as a 'Psychology Graduate Mental Health Support Worker' in a psychiatric hospital which is made up of low secure and locked rehabilitation wards. One of the two AP's is leaving for a Senior AP post with the NHS. All the Psychology Graduates have been offered an interview to replace the AP. There's 20 grads from different services who are applying (they advertise internally first). I'm one of them.

I am part of the psych department now, as each grad has a day in the psych office with the AP's and clinical psychologist once a month. So we know the Psychologist but she's very hard to read, and I know the interview will be done with 2 others also. But I'm so nervous. My nerves always get the best of me and sometimes prevent me from actually attending interviews. 😩

Any advice or ideas on themes that tend to come up?

Thank you in advance. :-)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
han10

Re: First ever AP interview at 26 - so nervous!

Post by han10 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:46 am

Hi Swiftiehd,

Congratulations on your interview. My first advice (as I'm guessing you may be quite new to this website, seeing as this is your first post) is go explore the WIKI's - there is a whole WIKI about interviews with lots of relevant info, questions etc. Don't worry if some of the posts seem old - they are regularly checked and updated.

In terms of nerves, is there someone you can practice questions with? Explore your own coping strategies from whatever psychological perspective interests you and think of some of the low level strategies you might already be doing within your role - are there any that you could apply to yourself?

miriam
Site Admin

Re: First ever AP interview at 26 - so nervous!

Post by miriam » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:08 pm

You could also think about getting some personal therapy to help you deal with the nerves - put those psychological skills into practice!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com