Have any APs successfully gotten onto a HI CBT course?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Butterfly1921

Have any APs successfully gotten onto a HI CBT course?

Post by Butterfly1921 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:27 pm

Bit of an unusual situation.

I live in an area where IAPT services and PWPs don’t technically exist (think UK islands rather than UK itself).

We do have a counselling service for low-moderate mental health issues, but it’s not called an IAPT service. I’ve worked as an assistant psychologist for 4 years.

My experience involves working both inpatient and counselling settings. I only have a bachelors degree but I have done bits of training in CBT (modules), foundation level training in systemic therapy, DBT skills training etc. My role has been mainly therapeutic and I’ve been seeing clients using a CBT approach for about 2-3 years.

I’d like to apply to a HI CBT trainee position in the UK and understand I’d need to fill out a KSA portfolio.

Are there any other APs who have done this and been successful? I’m a little wary as I don’t have a core profession and I’m sure PWPs have a leg up and probably are more suitable but that just isn’t an option where I live.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
hawke

Re: Have any APs successfully gotten onto a HI CBT course?

Post by hawke » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:43 pm

Yes, I knew an AP who got on to HI training. She had a non-IAPT mental health background, worked briefly (literally a few weeks) as an AP in IAPT, and then was successful in getting a HI training place in the same service. Do some swotting up on how IAPT works in terms of stepped care, outcomes-driven supervision, and manualised CBT, and I think you'd stand a good chance with your experience.

Butterfly1921

Post by Butterfly1921 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:07 pm

hawke wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:43 pm
Yes, I knew an AP who got on to HI training. She had a non-IAPT mental health background, worked briefly (literally a few weeks) as an AP in IAPT, and then was successful in getting a HI training place in the same service. Do some swotting up on how IAPT works in terms of stepped care, outcomes-driven supervision, and manualised CBT, and I think you'd stand a good chance with your experience.
Thanks for replying, that’s given me a little hope! Can I ask what you mean by manualised CBT? Just want to make sure I understand right. Thanks!

hawke

Post by hawke » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:19 pm

Butterfly1921 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:07 pm
hawke wrote:
Thanks for replying, that’s given me a little hope! Can I ask what you mean by manualised CBT? Just want to make sure I understand right. Thanks!
Of course. IAPT tend to be diagnosis-led, and will have particular CBT protocols that they follow and formulate within for each diagnosis.

Butterfly1921

Post by Butterfly1921 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:22 pm

hawke wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:19 pm
Butterfly1921 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:07 pm
hawke wrote:
Of course. IAPT tend to be diagnosis-led, and will have particular CBT protocols that they follow and formulate within for each diagnosis.
Got it, thank you!

mungle

Post by mungle » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:22 am

It's difficult as you'd need the KSA portfolio or a core profession. Usually KSA portfolios require PWP training and 3 years+ as a PWP. However, it may not be impossible. Sometimes non-IAPT services may fund therapist training but that is increasingly rare but might be worth asking about.