Can counselling psychologists apply for band 7 roles in NHS ?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
ryan95

Can counselling psychologists apply for band 7 roles in NHS ?

Post by ryan95 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:47 pm

Seems I am finding myself becoming confused, over what actual roles counselling psychologists can and can’t work in. Seems like there’s so much overlap. Could someone please explain this to me as I am trying to decide on which career path to take. I have a counselling background so would like to still try and stick to a more humanistic approach

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Can counselling psychologists apply for band 7 roles in NHS ?

Post by miriam » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Yes. Either category can apply if it says "practitioner psychologist" or "counselling/clinical psychologist", which I think most of them do. But the competencies required for different roles might be easier to demonstrate from one training or the other - for example, not all CoPs would feel competent to apply for a role assessing neurodevelopmental disorders in children, whilst I'd expect every CP trainee to have done a child and family placement and to have done neurodevelopmental assessment as part of the core teaching.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com