Advice for getting onto HI training with OT qualification

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Kitezma

Advice for getting onto HI training with OT qualification

Post by Kitezma » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:59 am

I am an OT, and I also have a psychology undergraduate degree. I am currently working in a community mental health team for adults and previously worked in a secure mental health unit for children as an OT.

I plan on applying for an IAPT trainee high intensity therapist role this summer, I will have been qualified as an OT for one year by then. I currently use graded exposure and some CBT informed approaches day to day in my role.

Does anyone have any advice for how I can strengthen my application? Or is there anyone who has got onto the HI training with a core profession, as opposed to the PWP route? Not sure if this will put me at a disadvantage, as many of the posts on here seem to be from people who have taken the PWP route? Furthermore, I don't have any primary care experience (only secondary and tertiary), not sure if this puts me at a disadvantage too?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Northernlad

Re: Advice for getting onto HI training with OT qualification

Post by Northernlad » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:15 pm

I completed CBT training in 2018 and there were OTs on my course with mental health backgrounds, so it certainly is possible!

Kitezma

Post by Kitezma » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:01 pm

Thanks, that's good to know! Do you have any tips for getting a trainee position? :)

mungle

Post by mungle » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:43 pm

It's a while ago now but most HIs came from core professions in the IAPT services I worked in. Broadly, I'd imagine the following might be helpful: experience using psychological models with clients e.g. co-facilitating a CBT/mindfulness/ACT group, knowledge of CBT, experience of supervising others, risk management etc. Grab any chances in your current role to carry out CBT-informed work with consultation or supervision from a CBT therapist of CP. See if you can co-facilitate a similar group. Talk to any therapists, CPs and trainee CPs in your current workplace or who you link up with.
There are some good CBT books out there and the self-help Overcoming Books are a good introduction.

Kitezma

Post by Kitezma » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:31 pm

mungle wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:43 pm
It's a while ago now but most HIs came from core professions in the IAPT services I worked in. Broadly, I'd imagine the following might be helpful: experience using psychological models with clients e.g. co-facilitating a CBT/mindfulness/ACT group, knowledge of CBT, experience of supervising others, risk management etc. Grab any chances in your current role to carry out CBT-informed work with consultation or supervision from a CBT therapist of CP. See if you can co-facilitate a similar group. Talk to any therapists, CPs and trainee CPs in your current workplace or who you link up with.
There are some good CBT books out there and the self-help Overcoming Books are a good introduction.
Thanks for the helpful advice! I've ordered the CBT guides for anxiety and depression in the Overcoming series this evening :)