Stats module grade

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Livia

Stats module grade

Post by Livia » Thu May 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi

(Im really sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section! Please delete if this is the case)

I had a question regarding module percentages and applying for the doctorate.
I achieved a good first in my undergrad, and am just finishing up a conversion course and am on track for a distinction. However, as a result of working extra due to COVID, I have not done as well on my stats course as on my other courses. I achieved 64%, and I am just worried the Doctorate courses would want this to be a high/mid 2.1 minimum. I did, however, achieve 78% on my research methods course so am not sure if that would even it out a bit?

I guess I was wondering if courses look at this in isolation (I know its an important module) or whether they would view it in the context of my overall grade (hopefully a distinction)? I'm feeling quite worried that all the hard work for the last few years will be discounted due to this grade.

Thanks!
Livia

GlitteringMultitude

Re: Stats module grade

Post by GlitteringMultitude » Thu May 14, 2020 2:26 pm

64 is a good mark. Most courses operate on a points system that only counts your overall mark, and usually it's your undergrad mark (even if your undergrad is in an unrelated subject).

I scored 62 in both of my stats modules, got a distinction overall in my conversion, and had a 64 for my first degree (unrelated subject). The first degree mark is what mattered for the courses I applied to, and I had 3 interviews this year so it hasn't held me back.

I would say try not to get hung up on finer details, cut yourself some slack, and remember that this is a really hard time to be working and you have some amazing grades going for you!

Livia

Post by Livia » Thu May 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Thank you so much!
I'm definitely an overthinker anyway and sometimes maybe put barriers in my own way. I think my goal for the next year is, like you said, cut myself some slack and enjoy the process a little more.

That's really reassuring to hear, and congrats on the interviews!
Thanks again

xxpoogletxx

Post by xxpoogletxx » Thu May 14, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi Livia, just to echo what GlitteringMultitude said. I achieved a high 2:1, with lots of module marks in the 70's however, my clinical psychology module was marked as 40%. Something to do with 'not answering the question' even though half my class were also marked at 40% for the same reason, my lecturer wouldn't accept that perhaps they hadn't made it clear how they wanted the question answering. Anyway, I digress, it's been six years and it still irks me.

My point is, I too panicked about how this module grade would look and did a fair amount of catastrophising "they'll never accept me on the clinical course with a 40% in my clinical module!". I got three interviews this year, so to cut a long story short, individual module marks do not seem to matter much.

Good luck with finishing your conversion course, it sounds like you're absolutely smashing it! :)

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Thu May 14, 2020 8:41 pm

If it helps my entire undergrad grade was less than your stats grade and I’m now on training!

Livia

Post by Livia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 am

Thank you all so much!
I'm feeling much better, I think it's so easy to panic that the doctorate is so competitive that anything other than perfect will be a barrier but in reality, I know that's not the case. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply, and it made me feel much more hopeful!

ell

Post by ell » Sun May 17, 2020 11:25 am

I once applied to a course that had a minimum of 65% on the stats module as part of their criteria (several years ago). I've only ever seen it stipulated once as a criteria though. So all you can do really is just carefully read through the courses' minimum criteria and not apply for any courses that say something about the stats mark.

I trained at a very popular training course, and my undergraduate degree was 63% with a 2:2 dissertation mark. My MSc distinction undid a lot of that damage, but I got a lot of interviews despite still having low undergrad grades.

The other thing you can do while at uni is to make sure you make the acquaintance of someone who can write you a good academic reference, and make sure they remember who you are.

Chloesmith1995

Post by Chloesmith1995 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:16 am

I failed my statistics exam due to extenuating circumstances and I was offered a place on two courses this year. I definitely don't think it will be a barrier to accessing training! :)