How to decide on a course?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
dk200300

How to decide on a course?

Post by dk200300 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:11 pm

So I graduated with my 2.1 in Psychology quite a few years ago now. Did various voluntary and paid roles, but found it a minefield and went through a period of not getting anything. I ended up working in education, which I enjoyed and ended up qualifying as a teacher, moving between teacher and education related jobs. I basically put my family life first and decided to move in with my now husband, start earning and start my family. Fast forward a good few years, I am now on maternity leave with my first baby and just turned 30. I have clearly had a good life so far and am lucky my personal life has worked out (and who knows, maybe it wouldn't have if I continued living at home and volunteering?) But I have (deep down) been unhappy career wise for a long time :( I still can't shake it off!

I really wanted to use my maternity leave to have a fresh start and return to the psychology field. I am thinking about not returning to my previous job (particularly because of covid!) and do a course or qualification to help me on my way. My big question is: what? I would love a therapy qualification I could use to find work around family life.

It seems you can't get accepted by a course unless you are already working in the field e.g. cbt courses. I really want to work with children but there are so many different courses I just don't know which one is the best career wise!

Does anyone know where to start?

hawke

Re: How to decide on a course?

Post by hawke » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 pm

I did an intro to counselling course while working in education, which the school paid half of in return for me bringing skills back. I ended up diverting into adult mental health and clinical psychology, but that level 2 intro course would have enabled me to go on to the full counselling qualification. My friend did just that, and now works as a counsellor in a school part-time.