C0nfused

Posting about your personal life

Post by C0nfused » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:32 am

Personal content removed - Miriam

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:42 am

Without wishing to sound unsympathetic, I'm not sure this is really the best place to be getting the help you feel you need. I think you'd be better off seeking therapy or counselling in a private, more contained space. Maybe talk to your GP about a referral on.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:01 am

In fairness this is the 'Misc: Off topic' thread, but I would second that this isn't generally what this thread is used for. If you are looking for some general sympathy and top tips rather than therapy, might I suggest the 'Relationships' board of Mumsnet. There are many posts like your own on there, and a wide an interested readership for people willing to pitch in with advice/support. Best wishes.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:47 pm

I think my reaction is reflective of my general unease with any potential therapeutic input being given "in public" for any and all to see without people really knowing what the situation is/was. I just feel a proper assessment and contained, tailored intervention is a safer option. Perhaps I'm just over cautious.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:06 am

Geishawife wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:47 pm
I think my reaction is reflective of my general unease with any potential therapeutic input being given "in public" for any and all to see without people really knowing what the situation is/was. I just feel a proper assessment and contained, tailored intervention is a safer option. Perhaps I'm just over cautious.
This and the fact that the forum is for CPs and aspiring CPs, so we are posting with our professional hats on as it were, rather than asking for advice about our personal lives where future colleagues or clients might stumble upon it.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:07 pm

I was thinking this when I read Geishawife's response - about the difference with which we might read and understand the OP depending on whether a person 'presented' in a clinical setting with this as their main difficulty, or whether this was a peer at work chewing the fat over lunch, or whether this was a random stranger posting on a chat/support forum (e.g. Mumsnet/Twitter/insert young person's social media preference!).
Fail, fail again, fail better.

C0nfused

Post by C0nfused » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:33 pm

I see what you are all saying, and I am sorry for posting here. I did join this website, and continue to be a part of it, with a genuine interest in Clinical Psychology, and am a BSc Psychology graduate. I now realise that posting on here was misjudged.
kind regards,

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:04 pm

C0nfused wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:33 pm
I see what you are all saying, and I am sorry for posting here. I did join this website, and continue to be a part of it, with a genuine interest in Clinical Psychology, and am a BSc Psychology graduate. I now realise that posting on here was misjudged.
kind regards,
No worries, I think the qualified posters who replied were just explaining why you hadn't got answers. Drop an admin a PM if you'd rather remove the thread from public view.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

alexh

Re: I still miss my ex!!

Post by alexh » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:22 pm

Is Miscellaneous off-topic viewable by non-members?

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:46 pm

alexh wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:22 pm
Is Miscellaneous off-topic viewable by non-members?
Yes, non-members can see it but not comment (as far as I understand).

alexh

Post by alexh » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:13 pm

While people might still be well advised to be circumspect, what purpose or benefit is there in letting non-members view our off topic musings?

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:05 am

Sorry, but I don't see why they should be hidden. I really don't see this as an issue. This is a public forum for aspiring CPs and I like the fact that people are able to see as many different aspects of those of us in the profession as possible. There are private spaces for members only if you are concerned about who sees what.

alexh

Post by alexh » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:26 pm

I don't see any benefit in it being public. Maybe you can explain the benefit to me.

I don't post in here or even read it very often because it's offtopic and my interest is in the on topic, professional discussions, so it's not relevant for me.

Obviously it's Miriam's party since she pays the bills but you could ask users which they'd prefer.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:11 pm

I'm afraid I just don't understand your objection. To turn your question on its head, what is the benefit of keeping it private?There are some useful topics here that people might benefit from reading but those same people might have very valid reasons for not becoming members of the forum. I have seen nothing posted that I think should be private. If people are worried about who might see their postings it's probably better not to post.

alexh

Post by alexh » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:33 pm

I think you understand very well and disagree.