Struggling with Interviews

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
bmills98

Struggling with Interviews

Post by bmills98 »

I've been struggling with how to insert myself and my experiences into my Dclinpsy interviews. My feedback from last year's interviews was that I needed to expand more in my interviews but I'm beginning to think I'm not sure what that exactly means. In my most recent interview, I found the questions so specific around certain scenarios and populations that I haven't had much personal experience with, that my answers were very directly answering the question and not inserting my own experience if that makes sense. I left the interview realising that I hadn't even talked about my job roles and experiences. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice around this, if this is where I'm maybe going wrong?
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Struggling with Interviews

Post by Geishawife »

I suspect what they're looking for is transferable skills. You say that your answers do not reflect your own experience, and yet you are able to think of an answer related to a question in an area you are unfamiliar with. That suggests that your current role has given you enough understanding to recognize what is needed to answer the question. That's transeferable skills. So, think about how you know the answers - what have you been doing in your current role that helped you develop enough to answer questions on an ufamiliar area. Hope that makes sense!
bmills98

Re: Struggling with Interviews

Post by bmills98 »

Thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful and has given me a new perspective on it! I think that is definitely the case.