Psychosis Paper

Post here to discuss evaluating published research, sharing papers you have found of interest, plus requests for help with literature searches or locating papers
Elsee

Psychosis Paper

Post by Elsee » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:35 pm

Hello

Im really sorry that this is my first post (nearly) on the forum but I'm getting a tad desperate. I've got a course interview on Friday and have realsied that I ahvent prepared any reserach papers to talk about. What I'm after really is a nice paper to read, prefereably on the topic of psychosis or therapeutic outcomes or something. I wouldn't normally type this sort of begging post but I'm running out of time and trying to calm the old nerves. I've read a few things recently but nothing experimental or study like that I could give a verbal critique on.

Any helpers? :? :oops: :?:

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:30 pm

I don't think they would expect you to have pre-prepared a paper to critique, more likely that as a task activity they would give a snippet of a paper to comment on, or ask you to design a study to explore a certain clinical question. However, if you want a recent psychosis paper, why not go look in a relevant journal, either where you work or in a library? If you want one on line, a search of google scholar found this review of the efficacy of CBT in psychosis from last year, but its a bit disappointing that you can't get the full paper without paying $15. Someone else might be able to get a copy for free though.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

escapee

Post by escapee » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:08 am

I don't have access to Miriams, but what about this one?

More than just a place to talk: Young people's experiences of group psychological therapy as an early intervention for auditory hallucinations
Author(s): Newton E (Newton, Elizabeth), Larkin M (Larkin, Michael), Melhuish R (Melhuish, Ruth), Wykes T (Wykes, Til)
Source: PSYCHOLOGY AND PSYCHOTHERAPY-THEORY RESEARCH AND PRACTICE 80: 127-149 Part 1, MAR 2007

Abstract: Objectives. Auditory hallucinations are extremely distressing, particularly when occurring during adolescence. They may be most responsive to psychological intervention during a three-year critical period following symptom-onset, but as yet no studies have investigated voices groups for young participants with adolescent-onset psychosis. The aim of the current study is to explore the experience of group-CBT amongst a group of young people experiencing distressing auditory hallucinations.

Design. This project was planned and conducted in the tradition of idiographic, qualitative psychology. A small purposive sample was selected, and in-depth, open-ended interviews were conducted, in order to generate and explore rich, experiential accounts which are clearly situated and contextualized.

Methods. Eight participants who had completed a cognitive behavioural group intervention were interviewed using a semi-structured interview schedule. The transcribed data were analysed according to the principles of Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis (IPA; Smith, Osborn, & Jarman, 1999).

Results. Two superordinate themes emerged. The first describes experiential features of the respondents' accounts of group therapy. The second theme posits a cyclical relationship between four key factors: the content of the hallucinated voices, the participants' explanations for, and reactions to these voices, and thus, their ability to cope with them.

Conclusions. 'Voices groups' are appreciated by young people with auditory hallucinations, as sources of therapy, information, and support. These results suggest a number of testable hypotheses about the efficacy of group treatment and its future development.

Bella

Post by Bella » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:20 am

There is some really interesting work coming out about the ultra high risk group (for developing psychosis) and cognitive therapy. Try looking for French and Morrison.

:D

Elsee

Post by Elsee » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks people I'll let you know how the interview goes :shock:

Elsee

Post by Elsee » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi Guys I thought I'd update... well as it happens , the panel didn't ask me about a specific paper. In fact, most of the stuff I'd prepared didn't get put to much use at all! I wasn't asked about any psychological thoery or research methods (apart from a reserach methods exam... which again was rather unexpected in its style and format). I'm not sure how I'll do but the whole experience has made me a bit more confident with the whole process and has helped me focus on what I need to do for next years round (although you never know they may have taken pity 8) )

Thanks for your responses... I've actually started a new post in psychosis s I'll look up the references and I'm sure they'll come in handy. Any discussion in the near future with people interested in current psychosis literature would be cool... :)

Bella

Post by Bella » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:56 pm

I work in an EIS and I am always interested in current research in the area!

Well done - sounds like the interview was okay - good luck! :D